Need assistance with leak in front axle area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leak somewhere in the front axle right side. I'm thinking it may be the cv axle boot but this other boot area look like it's leaking as well or is slightly torn. Can anyone help me with the name of this boot and part number to fix it? Thanks, I appreciate it.
IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6283.JPG

Steering rack boot, you have a leak in your rack.

Steering rack boot, you have a leak in your rack.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I need a new steering rack. Does anyone know any reliable places in southern California that you can trust doing this job? I read that it wasn't worth the time to do it yourself. I was thinking RPM Garage.

Does not look too bad. Add some at205 to your power steering fluid and it will fix it. Replacing the entire rack is the next option, and a very expensive and time consuming one at that. I would not even think about that unless you have been experiencing poor steering performance. Get that area de greased and cleaned up, and keep an eye on the reservoir level. I cleaned mine at the carwash with some simple green and pressure washer.

Does not look too bad. Add some at205 to your power steering fluid and it will fix it. Replacing the entire rack is the next option, and a very expensive and time consuming one at that. I would not even think about that unless you have been experiencing poor steering performance. Get that area de greased and cleaned up, and keep an eye on the reservoir level. I cleaned mine at the carwash with some simple green and pressure washer.
Okay, will do. The level hasn't dropped from what I can tell. I'll try the AT205 and see how it goes. I appreciate your help.

Depends on how bad the leak is, might just be damp. You can just replace the boot for now and clean it up and monitor it, rack jobs are very expensive so unless it's leaving puddles on the floor you can just monitor the reservoir every fill up and see.

Before you buy a new rack, do a few things. Echo'ing what's been stated above. AT-205 has bought me some time...
  1. Purchase some AT-205, you maybe able to find this stuff cheaper locally if you're lucky
  2. Clean it up so you can inspect the area in the coming weeks
  3. Replace the fluid with some Mobil 1 Automatic Transmission Fluid
  4. Do a daily / weekly inspection to see if / where its leaking from
  5. Put some AT-205 in per instructions, this will help reseal
  6. Do a daily / weekly inspection to see if / where its leaking after the AT-205 treatment
  7. If still leaking, you may need a new rack

Before you buy a new rack, do a few things. Echo'ing what's been stated above. AT-205 has bought me some time...
  1. Purchase some AT-205, you maybe able to find this stuff cheaper locally if you're lucky
  2. Clean it up so you can inspect the area in the coming weeks
  3. Replace the fluid with some Mobil 1 Automatic Transmission Fluid
  4. Do a daily / weekly inspection to see if / where its leaking from
  5. Put some AT-205 in per instructions, this will help reseal
  6. Do a daily / weekly inspection to see if / where its leaking after the AT-205 treatment
  7. If still leaking, you may need a new rack
Will do, I just bought the at205 and will change out the fluid. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom