Need appraisal '88 FJ62 50k orig miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DPV7070

ForceFed40
SILVER Star
Threads
Alright guys, gonna be a helluva first post. And yes I've searched before posting:)

I've been a lurker for a long time now as I've always loved the TLC. Anyways, I came across a truly original, unmolested, '88 FJ62 with 50,98X original miles. No real fluid leaks except the usual buildup on the birfs. There is no body or frame rust whatsoever (SW car). The interior is in immaculate condition. The PO was an old man who documented everything to the T about the vehicle (every time he drove it he recorded the miles driven, mpg, etc. He also has all service records (I couldn't believe it). All the glass is good and the PW work. The truck runs, drives and smogged fine.

Now for the bad. In his old age, he has run it into a few things on the passenger side :eek:. The passenger side front quarter panel will need work, as will about 4 other areas.

My question is what is the vehicle worth? I'm looking for analytical answers here, not subjective. I know it's worth what anyone or I'll pay for it, but I've never come across an FJ40, 45, 60, 62, etc with this kind of documentation. The seller is asking 13.5K. I was shocked. What do yall think? I've got pics in pdf form, but can't upload them here.

An old gas guzzling truck that needs $3k worth of body work?

I got the same basic truck with 100K that didn't need body work for $2250 so you decide.

Offer $3000 and go from there. Seriously, they unfortunately, have very little real value.

Remember, you can get a motor and tranny rebuilt for $7500 or so, and so any premium above that is up to you.

$13.5k is a lot for one of these. It would have to be perfect. They were under $20K when new.

pics added:
FJ62_1.jpg
FJ62_2.jpg
FJ62_3.jpg

^^^^ what Drew said. a 50k rig is a novelty and maybe worth it if you were to fix the fender and mothball it. but as a daily driver you'll rack up another 50k in 3 years so it's mute. for a budget minded buyer, get a 5k rig at 120k that has had good maintenance, then put the extra 8 in your bank account or into mods.

He paid 13.5k for it new. It is worth what you are willing to pay. To me its a $3,500 truck.

Dynosoar:zilla:

A few months ago I saw a 84 fj60, with low 84k miles sell on ebay for $17,000. But, the cruiser was a time capsule and mint in every way.

Was this vehicle garaged, or always parked outside?

The fender bothers me. Not just that its damaged, but that the owner never had it repaired - that in itself would make me question his meticulous nature.
You also stated that there are 4 other areas that need repair...

The tires don't look that good either. Not to cast dispersions, but are you certian that the speedometer wasn't disconnected for awhile?

I think 13,500 is way too much for that rig.

For 13K you could get a rig with a V8 swap or a diesel engine. Plus a new suspension, custom bumpers, lockers, etc. etc.

It's not like it's a collectors item. I'd agree with the $3500 price tag.

To a collector it might have been worth 13.5k but that body damage ends it. Unfortunately to get it looking like new its going to take full paint job as at the 13.5k range you won't be able to get by with piece work and at that point its not all original.

I defiantly think its worth more than 3500 but I would go in the 5-8k range in that condition to make it worthwhile for someone to restore it.

Gents,

I agree. I definitely wouldn't pay what they are asking. The fender was never fixed because the owner is now old as hell and gave it to his grandkid to sell. Some idiot at a toyota dealership said they could get 15K "from the right guy" who, obviously is not me. I posted this up here as more of a "re-cage" my gyro type deal. I wanted to see what you guys thing. I told the kid that pretty much all the rig has going for itself is that it is all original and low miles.

Every now and then you see a truck like that listed for a price like that 'cuz the person has googled FJ62 and come across listings at TLC4x4, etc, asking $30K. I guess they're like the ICON priced at $150K: I know they're out there, but I've never seen anybody actually buy one.

Wait until gas is $5 a gal and offer him a reasonable sum. If no, let him ebay it and see what he's offered.

If the damage is only at the one fender? (You did not really show the bad side) I'd say it's worth around $8K. Now if the 51k miles is all in town? the engine/trans could have the wear of a 100k+mile rig.

Good luck.

The trucks were $18,500 new in 1988. I have my original invoice. $13,500 for a 23 year old truck is a joke. Everything on that vehicle, or almost everything, is 23 years old. Don't forget that!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom