need answer on spring flip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
since i am in the middle of my frame of restoration i want to get as much right as possible in the beginning. When the springs are flipped and the shackle is on the long side, will i get less flex, stay the same, or get more flex. I have searched and i get different answers. thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it...

primary reason for flipping springs is to gain wheelbase, if that is what you want, do it.

I wheeled with flipped springs my most recent trip out, did not notice any difference.

There is no real difference in flex - just better wheelbase for free. The shackle reversal itself is what helps smooth out the ride, makes for more stable handling and lessens the harshness at the expense of driveline separation and pinion angle potential stress.

Everything is a tradeoff - one mod leads to another. You can only do so much with a single component of the system

If I were you, get the Decker(ButchBuilt style) saginaw conversion kit, box the front frame rails with it and nerf the front hangers into the frame while you are at it.

That is assuming you are going SOA and building a modified vehilce rather than a stock resto. To start out with everything "right" you'll need a long slip driveline(maybe new pinion and T-case flanges), longer brake lines, longer shackles, longer shocks, new shock towers, cut/turned housing specific to your spring setup and corresponding angles.

kenai said:
since i am in the middle of my frame of restoration i want to get as much right as possible in the beginning.

If you are doing a restoration, there is no point in second guessing the Toyota engineers. They knew what they were doing. It was right from the beginning.

Pin_Head said:
If you are doing a restoration, there is no point in second guessing the Toyota engineers. They knew what they were doing. It was right from the beginning.

My feeling as well. Not into messing with a good thing without a CLEAR idea of what I'm doing it for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom