Need another ser of ears... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is making an oscillating sound that it is very noticeable when the sound bounces near another car/structure (e.g., fence). As you can see, I'm pretty lost. Would like someone else to listen to it and give me your thoughts on it. If anyone in Burke/or passing through Burke, has a couple of minutes this week, please let me know. Thanks!

Truck is making an oscillating sound that it is very noticeable when the sound bounces near another car/structure (e.g., fence). As you can see, I'm pretty lost. Would like someone else to listen to it and give me your thoughts on it. If anyone in Burke/or passing through Burke, has a couple of minutes this week, please let me know. Thanks!
Gotta start eliminating things: take out the rear drive shaft and put it in 4wd... Also wiggle the DS ujoints and see if they are stiff.
If the sound/feel goes away, then you have your culprit... If not but you still feel something it could be in the rear axle.. wheel bearings, brakes, etc...

Found it. Rattling exhaust cover from the mid section.

Question, do my DS/Ujoints are supposed to have any play? I have play and a half....

thumbnail.jpeg

They shouldn't just flop from side to side, they should have just a bit of resistance.
But floppy is better than frozen.
But if they are floppy then there may be exsesive lateral movement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom