Need an engine rebuild? Or vane pump drive gear? (UPDATE:video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the knocking change with RPM if you rev the engine or is it consistent? Any chance you have a rocker hitting the underside of the valve cover?

It's consistent but not louder, more prominent at idle not while under acceleration but could be happening while driving. Also it's ohv so no rocker arm and i checked valve clearances 3 times never saw any interference with the cam lobe hitting the cover oil baffle.

It's consistent but not louder, more prominent at idle not while under acceleration but could be happening while driving. Also it's ohv so no rocker arm and i checked valve clearances 3 times never saw any interference with the cam lobe hitting the cover oil baffle.

Ah yeah sorry I’m used to 350’s - my cam is underneath. Hard to say, maybe someone else can chime in with more experience on these engines directly - I feel like if it was a rod knock or a bearing it would speed up with RPM but I might be wrong in that assumption.

Ah yeah sorry I’m used to 350’s - my cam is underneath. Hard to say, maybe someone else can chime in with more experience on these engines directly - I feel like if it was a rod knock or a bearing it would speed up with RPM but I might be wrong in that assumption.
No worries, I had a 327 with solid cam/lifters so I had to do constant adjustments. Sometimes the sound lessens as I rev it slightly or as I stated I turn the steering wheel to hard lock its gone.

Have you tried pulling plug wires to see if you can isolate it to an ignition issue or a specific cylinder? Does that work on a OHC or would that screw something up?

Have you tried pulling plug wires to see if you can isolate it to an ignition issue or a specific cylinder? Does that work on a OHC or would that screw something up?
It's definitely a mechanical knock/sound. I'd know an ignition knock but I'll try anything. lol

Found a video of someone having the same issue. His noise is very exaggerated than mine and no steering whine. He never posted if/how he fixed his. Waiting for his reply.

So I removed the timing chain tensioner and it operated normally. I put the stethoscope on and around the tensioner and it seems to be coming from that area. I'm suspecting the slipper is making the noise. Still goes away when i turn the steering wheel. I also changed the oil to see if that made a difference but it didn't.

Interesting about the tensioner. My LX is ticking since the head gasket replacement and I was assuming it was the steering pump gear since I replaced the pump, but it sounds similar to that and I had also replaced the tensioner when doing the head. Warmer weather and a mechanics stethoscope is needed.

Let me know if you nail down your cause. My tick goes away off idle.

Interesting about the tensioner. My LX is ticking since the head gasket replacement and I was assuming it was the steering pump gear since I replaced the pump, but it sounds similar to that and I had also replaced the tensioner when doing the head. Warmer weather and a mechanics stethoscope is needed.

Let me know if you nail down your cause. My tick goes away off idle.
I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure it's the slipper. Put the stethoscope on and around the tensioner. Pretty much where I pinpointed the noise at.

Update, If anyone cares....

• Changed oil to 5w-30 with Toyota filter
  • Remove all belts and fan
  • Retorqued balancer bolt
  • Checked Timing chain tensioner

Still have the knock sound. Looks like I may bring it to tech day for other ears to listen to it before I tear it apart. I'm thinking of a manual timing chain tensioner to try if anyone knows where I can get one it would be appreciated.

Different engine. But if the timing chain guides go on a 22re. The chain slapping around sounds like that.
Forgot the 22re had a chain. Thanks. Watched a few 22re videos and found some with the similar sound. Looks like thats it. Time to start gathering parts and disassembling. Now I have to decide to take the engine out or not to do it. Should have it done for CMCC 2022.

Much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good price on OEM parts? Chain, gasket set etc? I been on Mcgeorge Toyota so far good prices. Any other places?

If the parts are not too heavy, I use partsouq.com
Prices are way better than US suppliers & delivery usually quicker.
However, if the parts are heavy then the freight cost negates the partouq.com advantage & I use McGeorge usually.

If the parts are not too heavy, I use partsouq.com
Prices are way better than US suppliers & delivery usually quicker.
However, if the parts are heavy then the freight cost negates the partouq.com advantage & I use McGeorge usually.

So i went to Partsouq.com and duplicated the parts list and it seems really low, like over $200 lower than McGeorge. I'm assuming these are legit OEM parts? Seems too good to be true. Just asking out of caution and disbelief. lol

So i went to Partsouq.com and duplicated the parts list and it seems really low, like over $200 lower than McGeorge. I'm assuming these are legit OEM parts? Seems too good to be true. Just asking out of caution and disbelief. lol
You have to include the shipping cost plus most credit cards charge a fee for overseas sales (partsouq is in the UAE) so that trims the margin.
I’ve always got legitimate Toyota parts from partsouq.com
In 20+ orders, never an exception.
They either have them in stock or they do not.
The parts are usually airfreighted by DHL & sometimes UPS & arrive in around 3 to 4 days.

When I did the front CV shafts on my 100, I bought the 2 complete axles from McGeorge &
the rest of the gaskets, cone washers, shim, oil seals etc. etc from partsouq.com.
Saved a lot of money & all genuine Toyota parts.

Try a search in Mud for partsouq.
There are a lot of threads about parts from there.

You have to include the shipping cost plus most credit cards charge a fee for overseas sales (partsouq is in the UAE) so that trims the margin.
I’ve always got legitimate Toyota parts from partsouq.com
In 20+ orders, never an exception.
They either have them in stock or they do not.
The parts are usually airfreighted by DHL & sometimes UPS & arrive in around 3 to 4 days.

When I did the front CV shafts on my 100, I bought the 2 complete axles from McGeorge &
the rest of the gaskets, cone washers, shim, oil seals etc. etc from partsouq.com.
Saved a lot of money & all genuine Toyota parts.

I appreciate the responses and the info. Yeh they had all but 2 parts but otherwise a tremendous savings.

Thanks for your help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom