Need an A440 transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving my 88 FJ62 around on Saturday and all was fine. After dinner I was taking the kids out in it and out of the blue the trans started slipping badly, no weird noises. I pulled into a parking lot and the trans was done - no forward or backward movement.

I towed it to a local trans shop with a good reputation and they said they prefer not to rebuild these these A440 transmissions. Anyone know where I can get a good replacement transmission, preferably rebuilt and ready to go?

Ub

Rebuild it at ATR transmissions in Litle Rock,ark or Integrity Transmission ROCKWALL,TEXAS Ihave used both they are excellent. Mike

Where are you located? That's going to help people decide. Shipping becomes a major factor due to weight.

I will sell the one in my 88 FJ62. Come drive it first. Its still in the truck. Is $400 a fair price? It only has 161k on it. OR,..you dont have an SM420 to 3spd case adapter, do you?

A friend of mine has the same problem in just north of atlanta area,any suggestions out there?

Buddy of mine is selling a complete FJ62 auto for $1500CAD Little rusty but drive line and everything else is good..
4 inch BDS lift with 33s
Don't know where you are located possible to ship??

Make sure the problem isn't just a stripped tranny output shaft which can be fixed with the McNamara gear in the transfer case.

Make sure the problem isn't just a stripped tranny output shaft which can be fixed with the McNamara gear in the transfer case.

Kind of what I was thinking. Does it make a hell of a racket when you put the selector into park after it's in gear?

Long distance but I have one in W. Washington? Was rebuilt by PO a Toyota tech. Already on the shop floor still bolted to eng. pulled for a 5.7l swap. I have a long hauler friend could make shipping possible?

While we're listing sources of spares; I have one in L.A. too.

Thanks for all the replies and offers of transmissions.

The shop and I decided to go for a rebuild. It's pricey but comes with a warranty. The first tranny lasted 225k miles. It's a such a nice 62 - no rust, fresh motor, clean, bone stock, good interior - that it seems worthwhile to spend the money on a fresh transmission.

Ub

Last edited:
Do a lot of research about the "output shaft." If they don't warranty that then the rebuild is useless because that's what will wear first.

Do a lot of research about the "output shaft." If they don't warranty that then the rebuild is useless because that's what will wear first.

Randy: would a stripped output shaft make a lot of noise as the splines slip?

Randy: would a stripped output shaft make a lot of noise as the splines slip?

I am not sure. Mine "clanks" when going from park to drive or park to reverse. It has no problems when actually in gear or driving. So since mine makes noice when shifting, I'd guess one that is worn would make more noise since the splines are not engaging as well. We need someone with better knowledge.

Followup: got the gearbox apart and the problem was a number of flat round rubber seals - they were all too brittle to seal correctly so they were not allowing any pressure to build up. If you have a loud clank going into park or drive, this is the problem.

Also found big dent in the driveshaft, big enough to prevent the internal splines from moving.

Ub

Followup: got the gearbox apart and the problem was a number of flat round rubber seals - they were all too brittle to seal correctly so they were not allowing any pressure to build up. If you have a loud clank going into park or drive, this is the problem.

Also found big dent in the driveshaft, big enough to prevent the internal splines from moving.

Ub

Pictures would be extremely helpful...

Ub

Actually, not. The load clank is worn output shaft splines. Read up on the McNamara gear before you put this all back together. This is a universal known problem with the A440. At a minimum have you shop get a new output shaft, and if you really want a good and lasting rebuild, get a new output shaft and a McNamara gear.

Why I like ATR in Little Rock,the police who log many miles and at high speeds and temps. use them.Old Jake is very good! Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom