NEED ALIGNMENT HELP ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
[glow=red,2,300] I HAVE A FEW HOURS LEFT TO MAKE MY NEW STEERING LINKAGES BEFORE I LEAVE TOWN AGAIN UNTIL THE SUMMER, AND THEY NEED TO BE DONE SO MY BROTHER CAN MOVE THE CRUISER ONTO THE TRAILER WHEN HE TAKES IT TO INSTALL THE ENGINE. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE PROPER TIE ROD LENGTH [C TO C ON THE TRE'S OR HEIMS] FOR A CRUISER FRONT AXLE RUNNING MINI TRUCK DISC BRAKES? I LOOKED AT IH8MUD AND THE EXPLANATION FOR SETTING THE TOE-IN SEEMS A LITTLE SHADY, AS IT GIVES A 1/4" AS THE PROPER TOE, BUT DOESNT SAY WHERE ON THE TIRE'S RADIUS TO MEASURE AT.

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME OUT WITH THIS SOON...

THANKS IN ADVANCE-

MATT[/glow]

Matt,

The measurement is the difference between the front and rear of the tires. You jack up the tires, and scribe a line around both tires while spinning them. Measure the distance between lines at the front and the back. The width should be 1/8 to 1/4 less in the front than the rear.

[glow=red,2,300] YEAH, I GET THE THEORY, BUT I WOULD STILL RATHER WORK WITH AN ANGLE INSTEAD OF A MEASUREMENT, BECAUSE DEPENDING ON WHAT SIZE TIRES YOU HAVE/WHERE YOU TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENT FROM ON THE SIDEWALL IT WILL CHANGE THE ANGLE, SEE WHAT I MEAN? I CANT REALLY DO THAT IS THE PROBLEM. HERE'S THE SITUATION... THE CRUISER IS SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF A FEILD ON UNEVEN GROUND WITH NO CHANCE OF SEEING A SHOP SO I CAN REALLY DE PRECISE MEASUREMENTS. IF I CAN GET A BALLPARK WITHIN 1 1/2" I CAN MAKE THE TIE ROD SO THAT IT HAS A 1.5" RANGE OF ADJUSTMENT. [/glow]

center of the sidewall...honestly, so long as it's toed in slightly, nothing else matters. For that matter, you need something to get it to simply roll from where it is.....you can have an inch of toe OUT and for a little moving, it won't make a s*** of difference...

I've run mine within a 2" range....no difference at speeds of 20 and less, on or offroad.

BTW: we may take a donation on ih8mud and buy you a keyboard with a working caps lock....lol Heck, I bet I have one to donate even....hehehe

You can just eyeball it too. Turn the wheels until they are straight ahead ans sight along the inside of the tires. The two front side walls should be in line with the rear two on both sides, or slightly inside in the front sidewall on one side. This eyeball alignment check was standard operating procedure in the shop I used to work in, because you could show the customer why he needed one. You got a commission on selling "add ons" for every work order.

A 1/4 inch toe in on a 35 inch tire is 0.4 degrees if that helps you, but I don't know how you would measure it accurately w/o a rack.

BTW: my allpro histeer arms allow for a 45" center to center on the tie rod bolts...

no help if you are running stock tho....I KNOW this is narrower by ~2"

mine is 47" CTC. 73 40 with mini truck knuckles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom