Need Advise! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have this 98 Dodge Ram 1500, V8, 5spd, 2" lift, 33's blah, blah, blah. The gas is starting to get to me a little. It is very reliable. However, I have always loved the yotas. Now I am thinking about getting something yota and 4x4. I test drove two yesterday that I liked. One was a 96 taco and the other a 97 taco. The 96 started knocking while I test drove it and locked up!!! I had to walk back to the dealer. It was a 3.4. The 97 was a plane jane 4cyl. 5spd., good air and ran out pretty nicely. I liked it. It had 116k on it but the check engine light was on. the 3.4 had 165k.

Is the 97 4cyl a 2.7 and how do they last as far as reliability? I will be hauling a honda rancher 350 2wd in the winter hunting and a 16' lowe bass boat in the summer. Would I be asking to much out of this truck? It would also get the "upgrades" :grinpimp: as I am a 4x4 NUT!

The check engine light doesn't freak me out, just conserned a little as I will likely have to put $3,000 with my truck if I descide to go this route. I just rebuilt the rear end and had new trac lok installed in my dodge. Now the dodge has 179k, but I know it's good for another 100k easy. The 318 is the best small block v8 they ever made.

"OR" If someone out there has a nice 4runner or pickupo with air that might need a bigger truck, let me know and maybe we could do a little swapping around.

BY the way, I am a fresh here, so be gentle. It's the first time I have ever been here! :doh:

I would seriously consider the 3.4 V-6 as well. It's a strong engine, easy to work on, decent power. It's actually a popular swap into earlier V-6 equipped yotas as well.

My brother has 115K on his 95 Tacoma w/ no issues, 3.4 V6. We just did the timing belt and H20 pump, very easy.

Good luck.

Well, If all I can get my hands on is 2.7, are there any none flaws with the engine? The one I drove seemed to be fairly descent on power. The check engine light was on but not sluggish, no misses that I could detect. no engine chatter. The 5spd. did look almost like it had been leaking from the top of it and it looked like a top loader. The transfercase was covered in wet fluid like is leaking and the rack and pinion steering assembly appeared to have a leak as the boots were a little damp and the main body of the unit was a little damp as well. Nothing dripping from it though, just the transfercase looked really wet.

Is that some normal leaks for this set up? I know on some vehicles that is normal. Just keep the fluid checked if you can't replace the gaskets or repair the problem.

The 2.7 4 cyl is a good engine too. Lots more power than the older 22RE, and from what I hear seems to be as reliable.

Don't buy a vehicle that has a CEL on. Make the seller get it fixed as part of the condition of sale. Don't know where you are, but in most states, it won't pass inspection with the CEL on.

If this was an older Cruiser, then I would say the leaks are normal, they all leak. But something this new, it's not normal, and indicates either a problem or poor maintenance history. My '87 does not leak a drop now (~200K), and neither does my ex-wife's '94 xcab (185K).

the 87 your talking about, is it 4x4 and is it a truck? if any, what mods are done to it and what kind of mpg do you get out of it and I am ASSuming it is the 22re? how does it tow and what do you tow? Just thinking of MAYBE swapping my dodge on a toyota truck and looking for a little info.

Thanks, Danny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom