Need advise on keeping front drums or spend the money on disc conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1975 FJ40 with original drum brakes and course spline hubs up front. I have searched but most posts revolve around the conversion itself and I am looking for opinions on the effectiveness or lack thereof of the drums up front. The wheel cylinders up front on my 40 are leaking so I either need to replace the front shoes, drums and cylinders or spend the money on a disc swap. My initial thoughts were to use the money I would spend on drum brake parts to help offset the cost of the disc conversion. Then I realized that because mine has the original riveted wheels, I would have to purchase new wheels as well which would add another $600 or so since I want to stay with OEM 15" steel wheels and hubcaps. Can those that have or had them give me some feedback on the original front drum brakes? Are the drum brakes adequate when kept adjusted and maintained properly? I haven't had this rig over 40mph so far and while it's fine braking at those speeds, I don't feel it's safe to go any faster for testing with the current condition of the brakes. The rig will not be my daily driver and will be driven mainly on weekends around town and only see light trails for the occasional hiking/camping trip. I like the idea of keeping the original 1975 date coded wheels but not if that means sacrificing my safety while braking. My question boils down to do I spend ~$500 overhauling the original front drum brakes or do I spend ~$1500 to convert to factory front discs and buy new wheels?

You are in CO and if patient, should be able to find a clean disc conversion axle for a few to 3 hundred. If you were to lean on your local dealer, the new welded rims should set you back about $95 per. Being a daily driver, I’d want the discs. You could buy the fronts and a spare and then order the 2 more when you are ready to rotate the tires.

Definitely upgrade to discs. Not even a second thought.

Disc brakes are way safer and worth the cost. If your production date is late in 75 there’s a chance that your wheels are the newer style welded wheel anyway. If not high quality 1” or more wheel spacers will let you keep your older style wheels. Good luck

Replace your brake components and you’ll be good. If your not getting on freeway or country roads at 75 mph the stock brakes work fine IMO. The only other reason would be if you spent a lot of time in water crossings, disc brakes will dry out much better than shoes. With a duel brake system and a booster your good to wheel away, don’t need hIgh speed brake capabilities there.

Drum brakes are ok when adjusted properly. As you mentioned, you will have to periodically have to re-adjust them. At some point, , you'll go to adjust them and find the adjuster frozen, or the cyldr leaking again. Wet drum brakes suck. I prefer discs, plug in the pads and drive it. Periodically you may have to replace a caliper. No adjusting. I'd recommend discs on the rear at some point too. If your patient you may find a good set of used welded wheels. The 2 biggest mods I did in the begining was frt disc brakes and power steering. I do wheel alot. Then i swapped the rear to discs and no more fighting frozen rear adjusters. Mud and sand eats drum brake shoes.

Money should never be a factor in brake discussions; only safety.

That said, I am happy to tell you that if you have the original rims for your truck, they are welded. The change happened in 1974, two years before the disc. Why? I don’t know.

HTH

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Thank you everyone for your input and help. I love all the knowledge on this forum.

@65swb45 Mark, I really appreciate your information. I was very excited today upon removing the wheels and finding that they are indeed welded just as you said. I had assumed (you know what they say...) that the welded wheels came out with disk brakes.

Not having to purchase 5 new wheels saves me $500 so that makes the conversion to front discs all the sweeter. Gonna see if I can track down a late model FJ40 complete axle to swap in or an FJ60 axle to swap parts to my housing.

Thank you everyone for your input and help. I love all the knowledge on this forum.

@65swb45 Mark, I really appreciate your information. I was very excited today upon removing the wheels and finding that they are indeed welded just as you said. I had assumed (you know what they say...) that the welded wheels came out with disk brakes.

Not having to purchase 5 new wheels saves me $500 so that makes the conversion to front discs all the sweeter. Gonna see if I can track down a late model FJ40 complete axle to swap in or an FJ60 axle to swap parts to my housing.

You are welcome. I don’t have any conversion kits to offer at this time. But if you need a knuckle kit or wheel bearings, rebuilt calipers or rotors to service what you find, I’d be happy to help.

chime in here, I had 85 front axle guts installed in my 77. shafts ,cailipers dust shield . ss brake lines. jtm rear bracket, chevy discs , hole opened up in discs, portioning vavle,, best everi want to say like a grand or so .. was a decade ago. now id do it myself...

If you do stick with drum brakes, the '75 OEM master cylinder is a bit elusive. I just bought a new one the other day for my Feb. '75, as I feel that the original brakes are great when maintained properly, but, I know that the master leaks, and I will rebuild it if possible, and keep it as a spare.

Disc upgrade has been the best thing I've done. Took some work, but the stopping is better, the maintenance is less, and I feel a lot safer when on the road.

Got a great deal on a complete front axle with 3rd member from an 83 FJ60 this weekend so the front disc conversion is in my future. Bought the rear 3rd member too so I have the option of highway friendly 3.70's if that's the way I decide to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom