Need advice with PHH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I did my head gasket I also did my PHH and used silicon and the breeze constant torque hose clamps. It was easy with the head on the ground ... BUT the Breeze clamps are quite large and they have to be oriented correctly. I also used Napa hose (their premium line) for the upper heater hoses because I couldnt find Gates Green Stripe. Personally - if I were doing it again I would have no issues using Green Stripe (or the high end Napa) for the PHH .. and stay with the standard SS hose clamps .. (incidentally there is a proper torque setting recommended for silicon hose and the breeze clamps fwiw)

The premium NAPA hose IS Green Stripe. So you should be good.

Since we are talking about this, has anyone tried filling the system through the hose adjacent to the heater control valve to eliminate air in the system? It is the highest spot, after all.

I have a permanent filler "T" on the heater return line in my Mustang that's threaded to accept a garden hose, and that works a treat for flushing and filling.

Since we are talking about this, has anyone tried filling the system through the hose adjacent to the heater control valve to eliminate air in the system? It is the highest spot, after all.

I have a permanent filler "T" on the heater return line in my Mustang that's threaded to accept a garden hose, and that works a treat for flushing and filling.
I have the permanent T installed in the cruiser, but I just used the big yellow funnel thing on the radiator. Super handy for burping the cooling system and comes with different attachments to fit different cars. A must have for any Gear head.

It's obvious you do not understand the engineering reasons for doing it this way.

A hard line that fastens directly to the block would suffer premature failure due to vibration and would be extremely fragile during maintenance and repair. The three cylinder engine in the Geo Metro had a hard line directly at the engine, and you could literally destroy your engine by leaning on the heater hose. They were also prone to failure due to vibration.

While it may be "pesky", the flipping thing not only does its job, the maintenance interval between replacement is long enough to justify the difficulty in replacing it.

Engineering is the art and science of choosing which evil you are willing to live with. The Series 80 reflects this, as does any vehicle. While I am not a blind follower of all things Toyota, I think caution is warranted when modifying this equipment.

I still think it's a bad design:

They could have added flex in a better location and used a bolted on nipple then put the flex in a more accessible location.

The Plastic Nipple off the Radiator.....Stoooopid, Head Gasket....Ig-knit, The Sound System....Pathetic, Useless 3rd Row, Roof Rack that Rusts thru.....Fender Flares not integrated into fender...A joke, Don't even mention cup holders, Powered Seat system isn't too impressive. Fine threads on a Tie Rod when they should be coarse threads with a Jam nut....Come on, Shaky Mirrors....I'm done, oh Hideous Gold Badges:eek:

Distributor off Motor-Brilliant, Power Steering off Motor- Brilliant, Transmission that lasts forever, Air Filter System, AC that lasts 20 yrs+, Dual Belts, Glass Headlight enclosures that never degrade, A bottom Motor end that can handle 2X the Horsepower.

Reactions: AJP
I've found the third row to be amazingly useful, myself. I love the way it "disappears" to convert it into a stuff hauler.

I too have found it very handy when I need to haul midgets and minions.
Fat chicks only in the backseat between both Axles. If she can't shear off a running board, shes not big enough. :pig::pig::pig:

Started my PHH today and couldn't for the life of me get the bottom bolt off. Glad I read this Ill just do the Pin_Head method and break it. So I have to cut the PHH in half before breaking the lower bracket off? Im using the silicone with the constant torque clamps what would be the torque setting ^^ for the clamps.

Thanks, Antor

If you want to get the lower bolt out, you can try the gear wrench method I used:
PHH OEM style close up pics

Normal humans fit in the third row just fine. Don't know much about the "fat chicks" you speak of.

Looks like you have tints for a reason. Favor the cover of darkness?
It's cool, they are just like Mopeds.
It's our secret; not like anybody reads these forums anyhow.
Back on Topic!

Started my PHH today and couldn't for the life of me get the bottom bolt off. Glad I read this Ill just do the Pin_Head method and break it. So I have to cut the PHH in half before breaking the lower bracket off? Im using the silicone with the constant torque clamps what would be the torque setting ^^ for the clamps.

Thanks, Antor

To answer your question on the Breeze torque clamps ... torque is 35-40 INCH POUNDS as reported elsewhere on IH8Mud by another poster who spoke with an engineer at the manufacturer ... That is what I used on mine and they do not leak (I did the PHH and one of the upper heater hoses with silicon hose and Breeze torque clamps fwiw) It will be tough I think to set the proper torque on the PHH while working in the "bay" ... in case you are interested my inch pound torque "wrench" was an Anschutz action wrench calibrated in newton meters and I used 4.5 newton meters.

Thanks I'll try your method before I start breaking stuff

Anton

I think this is wise .. ChrisFJ80's approach is (IMO) much better than hoping that metal fatigue induced by rocking the heater inlet pipe back and forth will cause a clean break on the lower mounting tab and not weaken/crack the actual pipe. Also I see he left the bolt off afterwards... I am not sure how it could be put back in anyway - I certainly couldnt do it and left the lower bolt off as well. However I am sure that is inconsequential as the upper bolt holds the pipe securely anyway and the hose provides additional security at the bottom (in fact if you use a Gates Green stripe which is so stiff and thick - it is probably stronger than the small steel lower mounting tab!!) ... I think ChrisFJ80's use of a flare nut wrench is very smart also as an open end will round the nut as will a lot of 12pt ratcheting wrenches. BTW this should be called the PLHPB (pesky lower Heater Pipe bolt!) which is the real culprit that causes this whole damn problem!!!!

After I did my repair, someone posted up that he installed a stud in that lower bolt hole. I don't know how difficult it is to do this, but something to consider. For someone with normal sized hands, I would think it is much easier to get a nut onto a stud in the lower bolt hole, than trying to insert a PLHPB!

After I did my repair, someone posted up that he installed a stud in that lower bolt hole. I don't know how difficult it is to do this, but something to consider. For someone with normal sized hands, I would think it is much easier to get a nut onto a stud in the lower bolt hole, than trying to insert a PLHPB!
would be easier, but installing a stud in that location would almost certainly have to be done with the engine pulled out. That would be a "while I'm here" project.

How much you value your time is also a factor. I spent over an hour trying to get that bolt out without success but the tab broke off in 5 minutes. Maybe I was just untalented or unlucky, but I did make a living turning wrenches for 3 years. You would get fired if you spent too much time on something like this. Once the tube is out, you can get a wrench on the bolt, no problem. If you are worried about the tube you can get a brand spanking new one from the dealer for cheap.

How much you value your time is also a factor. I spent over an hour trying to get that bolt out without success but the tab broke off in 5 minutes. Maybe I was just untalented or unlucky, but I did make a living turning wrenches for 3 years. You would get fired if you spent too much time on something like this. Once the tube is out, you can get a wrench on the bolt, no problem. If you are worried about the tube you can get a brand spanking new one from the dealer for cheap.

Actually this "...but I did make a living turning wrenches for 3 years. You would get fired if you spent too much time on something like this"
is EXACTLY why I end up doing all the work myself on my LX450 ... I dont know ANY dealership that has any significant experience on this vehicle and I certainly dont know ANY shop that will take the time required to do the work "by the book" and I mean FSM. And some of their shortcuts simply shorten the life of your vehicle.. JEEZ ... I couldnt even get a simply thing like an exhaust system installed properly without the boneheads breaking studs and stripping threads with their damn airguns ... after that debacle I also discovered one of the O2 sensor wires broken and bare twisted (un-insulated) wires hanging down afterwards ...and I dont get a discount for the time they save with their shortcuts. In fact dealing with all that mess is one of the reasons my HG took so long to finish ...

BUT you may have the final answer if the pipe is cheap -- just break it and replace it....

I think this is wise .. ChrisFJ80's approach is (IMO) much better than hoping that metal fatigue induced by rocking the heater inlet pipe back and forth will cause a clean break on the lower mounting tab and not weaken/crack the actual pipe. Also I see he left the bolt off afterwards... I am not sure how it could be put back in anyway - I certainly couldnt do it and left the lower bolt off as well. However I am sure that is inconsequential as the upper bolt holds the pipe securely anyway and the hose provides additional security at the bottom (in fact if you use a Gates Green stripe which is so stiff and thick - it is probably stronger than the small steel lower mounting tab!!) ... I think ChrisFJ80's use of a flare nut wrench is very smart also as an open end will round the nut as will a lot of 12pt ratcheting wrenches. BTW this should be called the PLHPB (pesky lower Heater Pipe bolt!) which is the real culprit that causes this whole damn problem!!!!

I ended up loosening the bottom bolt from the top with a gear wrench just enough to move the pipe to get the new silicone hose on. I don't know how these guys can do it in a couple hours took me over a day to change t-stat, PHH and flush the system. Glad it's over.
Thanks for the help, Antor

I think this is wise .. ChrisFJ80's approach is (IMO) much better than hoping that metal fatigue induced by rocking the heater inlet pipe back and forth will cause a clean break on the lower mounting tab and not weaken/crack the actual pipe.

Basic physics of welds makes the "weaken/crack the actual pipe" pretty unlikely. Enough so that I wouldn't worry about it. The break should follow the weld hardened zone and stress riser of the tab long before it affects the relatively stress riser free pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom