Need Advice - Transmission Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I’d like to pull the transmission and transfer case from my stock 1981. The body is on the vehicle so I’m hoping to drop it down vs lift it up as shown in the factory service manual. Never pulled a transmission from a later model 40. It appears the rear engine mount is a frame crossmember running below the transmission therefore, if I remove this and the transmission, the engine is hanging from the front two mounts only. Is the solution to simply support the engine with a jack under the oil pan then do the removal? Just seems a bit sketchy. Curious to know what your method is. Thanks

Others (me included) have used a heavy duty ratchet strap across the frame to hold the back of the engine up. Works well.

Hello, I’d like to pull the transmission and transfer case from my stock 1981. The body is on the vehicle so I’m hoping to drop it down vs lift it up as shown in the factory service manual. Never pulled a transmission from a later model 40. It appears the rear engine mount is a frame crossmember running below the transmission therefore, if I remove this and the transmission, the engine is hanging from the front two mounts only. Is the solution to simply support the engine with a jack under the oil pan then do the removal? Just seems a bit sketchy. Curious to know what your method is. Thanks

I use a combination of a transmission jack under the transmission and transfer case, and a ratchet strap underneath that is hung from the top on my roll cage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom