Need Advice on Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of the blue, my wife announced to me she likes the FJ 80. Actually, she did not know what they are called, she has just seen them and likes them. She pointed one out to me while we were driving and said, "I really like those." What can I say, she has good taste in men and SUVs. Also, we need a new car. Furthermore, I, for the first time in my life, have some money. As such, I am looking for advice on what to buy. It has to be an 80. I want lockers. I am very excited to me moving from Jeep to Toyota.

Any advice on what to buy. I think I want a 1997. Loaded. Any advice on what I should expect to buy? What to look out for? I thought, at one time, there was a company that bought them, perfromed all required repairs and service, and then sold them with a warranty. Any ideas.

Thanks for your help. I can't wait to join the club!

hk, welkome to the MUD.
Take your time and drive as many 80s as you kan.
Check them over and have a expert check it out.

What I did was; seen one in the paper, drove it and bought it.
It was the first 80 I ever drove.
My plan was find a fixerupper, and I did a good job finding one.

if i had more money, i would have bought a 40th Anniversary or a Collectors Edition.

I think most people here would agree that the ideal LC would be one:
with full lockers
without roof rack
without running boards
maybe even without sunroof

unfortunately, this combo is beyond rare :flipoff2:

welcome HK. Good idea to dump the Heep before it dumps you on the road side somewhere.

Forget about finding one without the sunroof, that's too rare.

If you've got the $$$, find a late model one, with low miles and well maintained. I firmly believe that it's worth the bucks to get a good one with lot's of life.

Try Autotrader and be paitent. As others have said, take em for a drive even if you know you don't want it. It will give you an idea how they should ride, steer and handle.

Good luck.

Riley

[move] :flipoff2:W :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:L :flipoff2:C :flipoff2:O :flipoff2:M :flipoff2:E :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:N :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:W :flipoff2:B :flipoff2:I :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:[/move]

Your screen name is a good fit there Helen. Next time, find the brail for the SEARCH button as you'll notice a lot of posts asking "what should I look for when I buy an 80". :D

Seriously welcome, but check the search cause this has been a frequent question again over the last few weeks.

[quote author=Riley link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89328#msg89328 date=1073964879]
Good idea to dump the Heep before it dumps you on the road side somewhere. [/quote]

It's a good thing I didnt dump my Jeep after buying my 80. 3 weeks after I brought it home, the head gasket in the 80 decides it's life is over. Can't wait to dig in to it to see what else is wrong. I'm back to being a proud jeep owner (2 of them actually).

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89403#msg89403 date=1073968966]
It's a good thing I didnt dump my Jeep after buying my 80. 3 weeks after I brought it home, the head gasket in the 80 decides it's life is over. Can't wait to dig in to it to see what else is wrong. I'm back to being a proud jeep owner (2 of them actually).

[/quote]

did you replace it yourself, Larry? If not, what was the cost to get it done?

eric

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89403#msg89403 date=1073968966]
I'm back to being a proud jeep owner (2 of them actually).[/quote]

readit_small.jpg

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89423#msg89423 date=1073969813]
readit_small.jpg

[/quote]

Junk,

please be humble. Lars must feel very bad that after a long search for a nice 80 the Headgasket blew. So his statement is a result of his disappointment :doh:

Mike

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89389#msg89389 date=1073968274]
Your screen name is a good fit there Helen. [/quote]

Dammit Junk.... ya beat me to that one. :flipoff2:

Asia - you expect me to be humble? Have you gone through newbie school? :flipoff2:

Shortbus - that's what you get for sleeping in. :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89779#msg89779 date=1074022021]
Asia - you expect me to be humble? Have you gone through newbie school? :flipoff2:

Shortbus - that's what you get for sleeping in. :D
[/quote]

I know it is hard to be humble in a Landcruiser :D

Mike

Asia,

You are correct. There is an abundance of dissapointment here.

But, I dont buy into this jeep vs. toy nonsense. Heck, I could be driving a Nissan Pathfinder and still out wheel any of you! haha :flipoff2:

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89801#msg89801 date=1074023934]
Asia,

You are correct. There is an abundance of dissapointment here.

But, I dont buy into this jeep vs. toy nonsense. Heck, I could be driving a Nissan Pathfinder and still out wheel any of you! haha :flipoff2:
[/quote]

It is just fun to make this nonsense :D

I don't know about the others but you would out wheel me alright. :'(

Mike

[quote author=Lars link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89801#msg89801 date=1074023934]
[/quote]

Ok....let's go....pick a time to meet in Sedona Arizona...let's break that Nissan or Jeep....if you can keep up. ;) :flipoff2:

I'm sure BMT and Skeddy would like in on the fun too!

In all seriousness, I've owned and rebuilt a few Jeeps...I'll stick with Toyota.

-H-

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89810#msg89810 date=1074025299]
Ok....let's go....pick a time to meet in Sedona Arizona...let's break that Nissan or Jeep....if you can keep up. ;) :flipoff2:

I'm sure BMT and Skeddy would like in on the fun too!

In all seriousness, I've owned and rebuilt a few Jeeps...I'll stick with Toyota.

-H-
[/quote]

Please guys take it easy. No need to take the knives out. :doh:

Mike

Mike,

Those of us out here in the West still settle disputes the 'ol fashioned way... :eek:

Just tellin' Lars the way the cow ate the cabbage...

If the Jeep or Nissan can make the first obstacle on Broken Arrow...he'll likely just have a really good time. If not, one of us will save a seat in the 80s. Afterwards, it's time for a nice cold #6 at Oak Creek Brewery!

-H-

...lookin' for a reason to go wheelin' with some other Arizonans! ;)

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=10043;start=msg89840#msg89840 date=1074027972]
Mike,

Those of us out here in the West still settle disputes the 'ol fashioned way... :eek:

Just tellin' Lars the way the cow ate the cabbage...

If the Jeep or Nissan can make the first obstacle on Broken Arrow...he'll likely just have a really good time. If not, one of us will save a seat in the 80s. Afterwards, it's time for a nice cold #6 at Oak Creek Brewery!

-H-

...lookin' for a reason to go wheelin' with some other Arizonans! ;)
[/quote]

Okay, then have fun :cheers: :cheers:

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom