Need advice on FJ60 or 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey people I'm looking to purchase. There are two on the market that interest me. On is an '88 62 that has plenty of upgrades. The issue is that the truck hiccups at high RPMs. Anyone have an idea of what that issue might be? I'm guessing it's a sensor issue. How much would it cost to fix??

There is also a '88 62 but it's got a main seal oil leak...possible cost to fix?

Thanks people!

A few dollars if you do it yourself! Kissing $1K I suspect if you have it done. Divorcing engine from transmission.

A few dollars if you do it yourself! Kissing $1K I suspect if you have it done. Divorcing engine from transmission.
Are you referring to the front main seal fix? Or the hiccup fix? Regarding the $1k?

Hiccups can be a bad spark plug lead

Are you referring to the front main seal fix? Or the hiccup fix? Regarding the $1k?

He is referring to the rear main seal. Although the seal itself is cheap, it requires a significant amount of tear down to get to it. Very labor intensive. Not to mention, you'll probably find a variety of other issues that need attention along the way. Easily a $1000+ dollar job in any shop.

I really wouldn't consider owning any 30 year old vehicle if I wasn't willing to service it myself, or together with a friend. That is really half the joy of owning a Land Cruiser. They are very reliable, but they do require maintenance.

Find the Land Cruiser group in your area and reach out to them. We are all family here. Someone will help you look over each cruiser, and probably even help you get it baselined and back on the road. Have beer handy, it seems to be the preferred currency around here.

Good luck bud!

IMG_8519.JPG
IMG_8516.JPG
IMG_8519.JPG
@CenTXFJ60 why isnt aftermarket a good idea? Haha
As Ryan mentioned it's a lot of work, but doable (good to have a friends help). You only want to do this once. The attached pic is an aftermarket seal that was in this cruiser I recently picked up. Tried to find the video I had of oil pouring out of the rear main as it was running. Bottom line is I believe an OEM seal will last much longer than an aftermarket one.

IMG_8458.JPG

View attachment 1354463 View attachment 1354465 View attachment 1354463
As Ryan mentioned it's a lot of work, but doable (good to have a friends help). You only want to do this once. The attached pic is an aftermarket seal that was in this cruiser I recently picked up. Tried to find the video I had of oil pouring out of the rear main as it was running. Bottom line is I believe an OEM seal will last much longer than an aftermarket one.

View attachment 1354464
Not sure how that work expense receipt got uploaded. And I was only drinking coffee when I did my last post :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom