Need Advice on Code P2714 - Transmission Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, looking for advice on how to proceed. First a little backstory:

Bought 2006 truck, drove maybe 100 miles before having fluids changed including a transmission service. After changing out my MAF (battery disconnected for enough time to reset everything), I let it idle for ~10 mins but when I went to drive it, the car was super sluggish, as if I was taking off in 5th gear. I turned the car off and back on, and it hasn't behaved like that since. What I have been noticing is intermittent slipping of the transmission when trying to accelerate from a stop. Also intermittent, there has been surging as I come to a stop like the transmission forgets to shift at some point and then does a quick double downshift. I checked my codes and I had a P2714.

So I posted on another thread related to this code and my symptoms were said to probably be related to a low transmission fluid level. I took the truck back to the mechanic who did the transmission service and they are reporting that the fluid level is good, they could not recreate the problem, and the code indicates to replace the solenoid with a $700 quote all in.

I've done a lot of reading on the matter, and most people are saying there may be debris interfering with the solenoid and that simply doing a fluid exchange could fix the problem. If I hadn't just done the transmission service, which may have been the cause of the problem, this is probably the course of action I would take. On another forum, user Jefe says he's done the solenoid replacement with success numerous times Post #9 (Toyota-4Runner.org).

I'm just conflicted on how to proceed and looking to the forum for some advice. This doesn't seem like a very common problem as I can only find a few threads that mention this code.

Some shops don't know how to check the fluid level, they just put back what they think they removed. You can do the check in your garage with a few basic tools. I had a "Toyota" specialty shop do a fluid exchange (on my prior 04 V8 4Runner) and I noticed when I pressed the brakes really hard, the transmission would go into limp mode. A car restart fixed the problem until my next really hard braking. I found the fluid check procedure and with a paper clip and a few sockets, I found I was low almost 2 quarts. After setting the fluid properly, my transmission was back to normal.

Some shops don't know how to check the fluid level, they just put back what they think they removed. You can do the check in your garage with a few basic tools. I had a "Toyota" specialty shop do a fluid exchange (on my prior 04 V8 4Runner) and I noticed when I pressed the brakes really hard, the transmission would go into limp mode. A car restart fixed the problem until my next really hard braking. I found the fluid check procedure and with a paper clip and a few sockets, I found I was low almost 2 quarts. After setting the fluid properly, my transmission was back to normal.

Thanks, I'll check this weekend and report back.

If it does come down to the solenoid, I'm not having much luck finding a part number, does anyone know the part I would need?

Totally agree with first poster, check the fluid level( make sure you follow the right procedure, fluid temp...etc) and if I were you while you have the pan off, I would get electric aerosol cleaner and spray on the solenoids and wipe it with towel.

I did figure out after abrupt stops that it would slip, which convinced me even more that you guys were right.

It was around 3.5 quarts low :bang: I thought I had found a good shop, this has really made me lose confidence in them.

I did figure out after abrupt stops that it would slip, which convinced me even more that you guys were right.

It was around 3.5 quarts low :bang: I thought I had found a good shop, this has really made me lose confidence in them.
I agreed mate I brought Prado 120 I change all oil in the car and when I did the transmission fluid I didn't do the fill up right I was supposed to have the car running so I drove the car around for a week and then after a week I got the same code as U guys 2 times in a day I plug the obd2 went online and these was few problem showing I suddenly relize it must be the flies level incorrect after all I did me me self so I let the car running while I filled it up and after few minutes the car come back to normal and mam I was so happy I took it for a drive it felt good the only thing I was worry about that I hope I haven't made a demage already I still don't know the answer but fingers crossed if any of U guys get this code make sure check the transmission fluid level while the car is running make sure while the car is running fill it up till it start to pushing it back the the level hole and make sure the transmission oil temperature is is about 40c wich is recommended I was 2.5 letter lower on transmission fluid

Hello everybody,,, my 2008 FJ is showing code 2714,, I did the fluid exchage and tranny filter change,, and code keeps coming back,, will replacing SLT solenoid solve the problem??? also, I replaced fluid with Valvoline Max Life ATF,, anybody encountered problems using this fluid??, can this aftermarket fluid be the problem???? I welcome your reply..Hector, San Diego

Thanks, I'll check this weekend and report back.

If it does come down to the solenoid, I'm not having much luck finding a part number, does anyone know the part I would need?
2006 4 runner uses SLT solenoid part 35280-30050 for transmission A750E,, rock auto has good prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom