Need advice on changes to a series 100 cruiser!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
I have a 2001 Series 100 Land Cruiser and I am planning to make some modifications to it in preparation for a pending move from Texas to Colorado. Obviously my cruiser has not seen a lot of snow or ice and cold weather ? whats that? We will likely be going into the mountains and be doing some easy to moderate trail driving :steer:. I am considering the following:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Moving from a 16” to a 18” or 19” wheel – need to know what the advantages and issues are here. What rims have people used – liked /disliked … same with tires.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Considering installing a modest lift kit. Want to increase my ground clearance an extra couple of inches.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bush bumper/ rear bumper – ARB looks good but maybe others are better or just as good but cheaper?
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Winches- clueless here. What do people suggest?
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Anything else that you would recommend? From experience – skid plates? Etc. etc.
Thanks all for advice!

Mark

Sounds like fun!

1. Stay with your 16" wheel. This is for several reasons, better tire selection and less cost being why I wish I had 16's, not to mention the better offroad ability over 18's when aired down. I have never seen 19" wheels unless you meant 20's.

2. Seems like most around here prefer the Old Man Emu lift readily available from SleeOffroad for a good suspension lift. A new company has been advertising in 4wd Toyota Owner Mag recently that looks reputable called Ironman 4x4 also out of Australia but I'm not sure if anyone has had any experience with them yet.

3. There are several front/rear bumpers available for the 100 series but ARB is probably the most prominent, Slee has a nice one they just released for about the same price. There are a couple more out there if you look hard enough.

That's about all I can help you with. Good luck and enjoy

To add to the above:

4. For a winch, look for something rated for 1.5 times the vehicle curb weight, minimum.

5. Depending on your style of off roading - trails vs rocks, you may want to look at sliders for replacement of your steps, as they will gain you clearance and armor. Skid plates are similar - if you are going into rocky areas, it is always good to look into. Slee has them, Budbuilt has some too - both are very heavy duty. Others may chime in, as I am writing up my list of these items to add to my truck too.

Good luck with the move!

1.Moving from a 16” to a 18” or 19” wheel – Keep the 16's

2.Considering installing a modest lift kit - Sounds like the OME Kit from Slee with Diff drop.

3.Bush bumper/ rear bumper – ARB (front) is the most common. You might find a TJM used but they are not being imported currently as far as I know. Slee (rear). There are others that can build Front and rear bumpers custom if you look around.

4.Winches- Most people run Warn. you will see M8000 up to the 12K on other cruiser's on here. When I did my research, it seemed most people recommended the 9.5XP. I decided on the Superwinch EP9.0. It has a good reputation although I have not used it yet (just installed this past weekend).

Good news is Slee is in CO so you can get it all done at one place.....

Armor the rear lower control arms and mounts. Had mine done at local weld shop for $85. They have the most scars of armor I have. Search here for how to articles and photos.

Last edited:
To add to the above:

4. For a winch, look for something rated for 1.5 times the vehicle curb weight, minimum.

5. Depending on your style of off roading - trails vs rocks, you may want to look at sliders for replacement of your steps, as they will gain you clearance and armor. Skid plates are similar - if you are going into rocky areas, it is always good to look into. Slee has them, Budbuilt has some too - both are very heavy duty. Others may chime in, as I am writing up my list of these items to add to my truck too.

Good luck with the move!

I searched all over budbuilt's website, do you happen to have a link to them? I could not find the skidplates

Do some reading and searching on this forums... you'll find a wide variety of 100 setups. Check the ROTM sticky at the top of the forum for some awesome builds.

The following upgrades have served me well so far in this order:

1) BFG AT/KO 285/75R16 tires (great all-arounders)
2) Slee Step Sliders (protect the body)
3) OME t-bars, springs and Slee diff-drop (amazing improvement in handling)
4) Slee rear dual swing-out rear bumper (>>>departure angles, recovery points)

Not sure what I'm going to do next, but the next ~logical step seems to be front bumper, Warn12k winch and dual-batteries.

If you go with a 33" tire I would stay with 16" wheels. If you go with a 35" tire then you could go with 16" or 18" wheels. What you don't want is a very small sidewall, less to work with offroad. Anything smaller then 35" on a 18" or bigger wheel is too small of a sidewall in my book.

For a loaded down LC 100 I would not recommend anything less then a Warn XP 9.5. It's a 9,500lbs winch that is underrated. Ideally for the LC 100 you would go with a 12,000lbs winch like the Warn M12k.

Lift I would recommend OME rear springs (depends on how much weight you are carring on which model # spring), and OME front torsion bars.

Easy to moderate trail driving you will not really need to make any changes. IMO. Just drive it. If you;re moving here. Chase down Rising Sun 4x4 club in Denver. If the starter hasn't been rebuilt yet do that before winter. A good tow strap, shackles, and Hi-lift jack are a great place to start. Also If you haven't seen it yet, Bill Burk's video on "how to" is worth it's weight in gold. Don't get caught up in all the hype. It's a Land Cruiser. Just fricken' drive it.

Far has a good point based on trail level you are looking at. At Cruise Moab, guy ran stock 100, running boards removed, 285 tires on Fin and Things trail which is rated a 4. Only bypassed one thing, shows these rigs are ready to go.
Was careful to use trailer hitch to protect bumper on a couple of exits.
x2 on Bill Burke videos.

Let me preface my comment that I'm newish to LC's and have only had mine since December. It was a Nevada to Jackson commuter. I live in Idaho.. Bought from a Lexus dealer in Utah where the original owners traded it for a new one because they felt 67k miles it was reaching the end of its service life. Had done all the maintenance religiously at Lexus and I have the complete service records.

So what I have done to make this rig worthy for expo/camping travel in Idaho and parts nearby? Took off the running boards. Has a new set of stock Big O A/T tires that were added before I got the rig. I have yet had the need to take it out of 4 hi is some pretty nasty stuff.

My advice (which is contrary to the nature of this site) is drive it for a year and then decide if you need to change or upgrade it. For my travels, bumpers are nothing more than a cool look but added weight. I could see a hitch mounted winch, maybe but a shovel can work too for lots less money unless you're really SOL.

Armor the rear lower control arms and mounts. Had mine done at local weld shop for $85. They have the most scars of armor I have. Search here for how to articles and photos.

Slee should post up the pictures of their awesome reinforcement of the 100 series rear lca mounts. It's pretty beef :flipoff2: I dont think i've seen a more reinforced mount on a 100 yet....which is good, cuz I try to leave them on every obstacle I find. :steer:

All the above are great recommendations.

But I would recommend you wait until you get here
Go to Slee and look at some of the things they have done - lots of good options from mild to rock crawler
Evaluate how aggressively you want to drive your vehicle in the mountains on trails vs the possible negative impact of lift etc in handling on mountain roads for normal "commuting"

Then decide what will be best for you

The OME suspension is a HUGE improvement over stock on twisty mountain roads.... way less body roll, much more composed.

Slee should post up the pictures of their awesome reinforcement of the 100 series rear lca mounts. It's pretty beef :flipoff2: I dont think i've seen a more reinforced mount on a 100 yet....which is good, cuz I try to leave them on every obstacle I find. :steer:

I wanna see! Was thinking about that the other day and consider new rear LCA from Wild West Off Road. They have some built-in armor to protect the actual arm, but best to have someone on the mount as well to protect it.

I couchsurf at my friends places in and around the denver area whenever I can, but my license plate says NY :D I decided to just leave my truck in CO since I dont "need" it here.

Loud,
Those mounts are off the hook! I wish Slee was closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom