Need advice. Looking to install a Pyrometer on my beaudesert turbo dump tap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj62max

Wildlife Customs
Threads
Thinking of installing a Pyrometer on my turbo dump. Anyone that recommends a good pyrometer and guage?

I have a Westach Mfg pyrometer/boost gauge. I like it a lot but it did take some time to be built. I have it mounted in my air vent for the time being until I get a mount 3D printed.

0F945322-B43B-404A-9594-BF80FAD92691.jpeg

Put your EGT probe in your manifold at the collector for best results. I'm using a VDO setup.

Put your EGT probe in your manifold at the collector for best results. I'm using a VDO setup.

The VDO guages is probably what i will end up getting with a mud pod. Just debating it to tap the manifold.

Tapping into the exhaust manifold before the turbo is the best location for an EGT probe. The temp drop across the turbo is both large and variable so a probe after the turbo is sub optimal. You want to be getting the info about temp as it happens before the turbo. Not much use having the news after the turbo has already seen the temp for a time before the gauge reports it to you and you react.

Tapping into the exhaust manifold before the turbo is the best location for an EGT probe. The temp drop across the turbo is both large and variable so a probe after the turbo is sub optimal. You want to be getting the info about temp as it happens before the turbo. Not much use having the news after the turbo has already seen the temp for a time before the gauge reports it to you and you react.
Exactly like above. There's lots of information on this and it's best to remove the manifold entirely in order to tap NPT threads into it. It can be done in place but I didn't like the idea of metal shavings going through the turbo. I run Autometer gauges in a pillar pod.

Drilling cast iron gives shavings like sand. I had no hesitation at all in drilling my own manifold. I drilled a small pilot hole and then slowly increased the size of the drill until the hole was tapping size. You can also coat the drill with a bit of grease to catch cuttings if you want. I filled the flutes of the tap with grease while tapping the hole.. there was very little swarf to collect.
If you were really worried you could drop the turbo a bit and stick a sheet of cardboard in the gap. Removing the manifold especially on the 1HD-T motor is not a small job and you will need new gaskets to refit it.

Isspro EV2 series last I checked. Owned a few of them and will be buying them again.

Do it in your manifold it’s way more accurate.
Do it in place, no need to take it off not to mention drill it out when the engine is running to push anything through the turbine. Grease the bit that also helps.

I’ve done 2 trucks with zeros issues this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom