Need advice: How to disable lx470 subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.highlineoutdoor.com
My sub is blown and because I am down in Costa Rica, it will be a couple of months before I can import a replacement. It sounds terrible.

Any suggestions on how to disable the wire connection or through the head unit user interface?

My sub is blown and because I am down in Costa Rica, it will be a couple of months before I can import a replacement. It sounds terrible.

Any suggestions on how to disable the wire connection or through the head unit user interface?
If you're gonna go through the trouble of disconnecting the sub at the subwoofer, you might as well replace the foam surround while in there. It's an easy job with minimal tools. Amazon has them for about $10 or $25 for all the speakers. Don't know how Amazon works in CR. but if there's an issue, PM me. I have an extra I'll send you.

If you don't have Nav, swapping the head unit is not hard. Not inexpensive though.

Good insight, going to pull out my land shark drawers and then try, thank you @Trunk Monkey
I had to remove my KISS drawers including the u-bolts on that side that attach to the seat brackets. That was removal.

While reinstalling, I found it was doable just by removing the upper portion of the paneling and gently bending it out of the way, saving myself 20 minutes and a few choice words.

My personal opinion, I wouldn’t even bother refoaming as you can get the same results for cheaper and least work. Pick up some gasket maker from any auto parts store and repair the blown out portions with it. Definitely agree that if you’re going to spend the time getting to the sub you might as well just fix it while you’re in there.

If time is a factor you can always just unplug it in the meantime, as was pointed out above. You should be able to access the connector fairly easy. Just pull back the paneling right behind the second row seats and it should be right there.

I had to remove my KISS drawers including the u-bolts on that side that attach to the seat brackets. That was removal.

While reinstalling, I found it was doable just by removing the upper portion of the paneling and gently bending it out of the way, saving myself 20 minutes and a few choice words.

My personal opinion, I wouldn’t even bother refoaming as you can get the same results for cheaper and least work. Pick up some gasket maker from any auto parts store and repair the blown out portions with it. Definitely agree that if you’re going to spend the time getting to the sub you might as well just fix it while you’re in there.

If time is a factor you can always just unplug it in the meantime, as was pointed out above. You should be able to access the connector fairly easy. Just pull back the paneling right behind the second row seats and it should be right there.
Down here the jungle, humidity, and salty air eats everything. Having my mom come down to visit in Feb, may make sense to just buy the kit and try to fix on my own. Before import taxes that sub costs $700. Finding things out here such as a gasket maker is typically impossible so when we have someone coming to visit, we have them load an extra suitcase or two.

Btw the gasket maker fix was recommended to me by a car audio store owner. He said this is how they repair any speaker they are unable to replace FWIW. I’m much happier having my non-rattling bass back

I just pulled mine when installing the Victory 4x4 molle panel over the 3rd row window. I left it out for now so I can repair it properly but I may leave it out for good. My bass thumping days are over.

My input to this post is two things.

1) just pull the panel and fix it properly or remove it. Once your drawers are out, removing the panel and subwoofer is relatively simple. Victory 4x4 had a great video that should help.

2) don’t bother with the gasket maker. If yours looks anything like mine, it won’t help. Just get the repair foam.

FD96FE2E-5506-43E4-A010-705A34C9BED8.jpeg

Go into your audio settings and turn the bass way down if you don't want to tear into it yet.

I just pulled mine when installing the Victory 4x4 molle panel over the 3rd row window. I left it out for now so I can repair it properly but I may leave it out for good. My bass thumping days are over.

My input to this post is two things.

1) just pull the panel and fix it properly or remove it. Once your drawers are out, removing the panel and subwoofer is relatively simple. Victory 4x4 had a great video that should help.

2) don’t bother with the gasket maker. If yours looks anything like mine, it won’t help. Just get the repair foam.

View attachment 2544974

@jlm43 Man, super helpful, thank you!

Wow @jlm43 how on earth did yours get that bad!? In that case I’d certainly have to agree, gasket maker would just make a huge mess and likely would be impossible to fully seal. Mine was bad but not half that, it drove me nuts and quickly worked it’s way up then priority list. I can’t imagine listening to that rattle for as long as you must have for it to have gotten that bad!

New suggestion: get in there and see what it looks like, then decide on gasket maker, new foam surround, or replacement depending on your situation and availability/cost of parts. You can unplug it in then meantime while you’re in there.

Wow @jlm43 how on earth did yours get that bad!? In that case I’d certainly have to agree, gasket maker would just make a huge mess and likely would be impossible to fully seal. Mine was bad but not half that, it drove me nuts and quickly worked it’s way up then priority list. I can’t imagine listening to that rattle for as long as you must have for it to have gotten that bad!

New suggestion: get in there and see what it looks like, then decide on gasket maker, new foam surround, or replacement depending on your situation and availability/cost of parts. You can unplug it in then meantime while you’re in there.
Haha, I'm not really sure. It's been rattling since I bought the truck almost 3 years ago. I just turned down the bass and tuned it out as much as possible. But obviously, I'm no audiophile. To be honest though, there was a bit left, probably less than 25%. And what was there, was so soft that it immediately broke apart when I touched it.

@jlm43 Mine was the same as that. I removed the whole enclosure to replace the suspension ring, but, that project got sidelined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom