Need advice... have a "clicking/popping" sound from the front passenger wheel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
have a "clicking/popping" sound from the front passenger wheel, a friend who a mechanic but has never worked on a LC says I need an axle rebuild.. it started out of nowhere, driving at slower speeds sounds like something is stuck in my tire. cant feel anything different, just sounds awful. at higher speeds i cant hear it. anyone have any thoughts?? And is this something I could do on my own?? I just changed pads and rotors a few months ago, how much more involved would this be?? Hoping I dont have to drop alot of cash..

Depending on your skill set and a few metric sockets (54mm to be exact) it can be done in an afternoon. Happy wrenching.

^^^

You should listen to your friend and the collective knowledge of this forum.

Many of us can fix this problem (or prevent it) ourselves with basic mechanical ability and some preparation.

Edit: ...and you can too. To be more helpful consider using the search function of this forum "clicking" and "birfs" and then read the FAQs regarding Front Axle Service.

What if servicing brakes caused the clicking. Not normal but possible for loose wheel bearing.

have a "clicking/popping" sound from the front passenger wheel, a friend who a mechanic but has never worked on a LC says I need an axle rebuild.. it started out of nowhere, driving at slower speeds sounds like something is stuck in my tire. cant feel anything different, just sounds awful. at higher speeds i cant hear it. anyone have any thoughts?? And is this something I could do on my own?? I just changed pads and rotors a few months ago, how much more involved would this be?? Hoping I dont have to drop alot of cash..

It depends what the problem is.

Everyone is jumping to the birfs clicking. Those only click under acceleration when turned tight.

A slow, rolling straight clicking will be wheel bearings, brake pads, debris in the wheel, peeling chrome dragging on the brake caliper (yes, mine did this).

It needs to be properly diagnosed. Logic would dictate that since you recently had brake work completed, it would be related.

I'm always a fan of performing needed maintenance in areas where noises originate because sometimes I find a two-fer. Pull the wheel and give everything a good look and see if the hub spins as freely as it should. specifically, check the brake backing plate. It wouldn't be the first time someone squished it somehow and caused it to rub the rotor. If it all looks good but you've still got your noise, go into the hub and check those bearings out. If they aren't galled or pitted, repack them and reassemble the hub. If they look rough, pop a new set of bearings and races in (<$60). Hopefully the test drive shows you've solved your prob. If not, congrats, without audio I side with the guys recommending a birf job.

I’m quick but two people clearly smarter than I chimed in (after me, haha!!)

Squealing, grinding and clicking are signs of a wheel bearing. When it occurs during braking then it might be brake pads, rotors or caliper issues. Popping would indicate an issue with the birfield. First thing to check is proper amount of grease in the knuckle cavity. If proper level of grease is present then if the popping only happens on tight left or right turns then the birfield is worn but can be driven more miles before being replaced. Popping in a straight line then the birfield is due to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom