Need advice - defective CD unit (2003 LC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I did some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for. I think part of the problem is I don't know what exactly to search for.

I am looking at a 2003 Land Cruiser with NAV. Owner says the CD unit doesn't work and dealer quoted him $2000 to replace. I know the 2004 MY had issues with the MFD but I don't think that is the problem here. Are the CD unit and MFD seperate components? IIRC, the dealer quoted price to replace the MFD was much higher, like $4000, so I think this is something else.

Is it something as simple as installing an aftermarket changer? Is the dealer cost on a new factory changer with installation on the order of $2000? Seems very high.

Can anyone provide some insight here? I have zero experience with the 100-series as I am looking to buy my first one, so forgive the ignorance. Thanks!

I have a MY 2004 with the defective MFD. To my knowledge I don't think it effected MY 2003, only 2004. Any ways, my symptoms where the MFD would give errors about disconnecting from AC controls, nothing about the CD unit. I took apart my MFD by following a DIY instructions from a Prius (2004 Prius has the same MFD and was affected as well) owner and it worked perfectly, saving me thousands of dollars in a replacement as you found out.

With that said, my CD unit is dead as well. The CD changer is in the center console, and I think the failure is local to that unit and nothing in the dash or elsewhere. I use an iPhone integration box, so the CD changer being dead hasn't bothered me for the past 4 years.

You could patiently watch eBay and buy a used replacement for a fraction of the cost from the dealer. This is what most people do with dead MFD's.

With that said, my CD unit is dead as well. The CD changer is in the center console, and I think the failure is local to that unit and nothing in the dash or elsewhere. I use an iPhone integration box, so the CD changer being dead hasn't bothered me for the past 4 years.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

You are more than welcome. Just in case I wasn't clear on one point, the CD changer being dead throws no codes on the MFD. Unless I try and use it I otherwise have no idea its not working. I'm actually going to remove mine completely and replace the center console with a standard "bucket" so I get the extra storage space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom