Need advice: AHC fix or delete (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced the AHC on a previous 100 that had a lot of extra weight and a lift. The weight and the lift compromised the AHC damping to a point I wasn't happy with, even with new globes. When I replaced the AHC I used Bilstein dampers from Aus and the ride and handling was much better than the AHC.

On my current 100 I've kept the AHC so far ... I'm not putting as much armour on this time and keeping it at standard height, so I've invested in replacing some of the AHC components to keep it reliable. IMO the reason to keep AHC is to be at standard ride height 99% of the time, with H available when needed. You have to stay on top of your AHC pressures though and need airbags to help out when it's loaded, or it won't get into H.

For a heavier / full time lifted build I'd lose the AHC no question but save up for higher quality dampers.

On my current 100 I've kept the AHC so far ... I'm not putting as much armour on this time and keeping it at standard height, so I've invested in replacing some of the AHC components to keep it reliable. IMO the reason to keep AHC is to be at standard ride height 99% of the time, with H available when needed. You have to stay on top of your AHC pressures though and need airbags to help out when it's loaded, or it won't get into H.

For a heavier / full time lifted build I'd lose the AHC no question but save up for higher quality dampers.
Great perspective. Thanks. I don’t plan on much armor over the sliders and AL front bumper which should serve my need well for many years. Most of my driving is hwy to get to camping and scenic drives, so I think I fit into your category of std height most of the time.

I replaced the AHC on a previous 100 that had a lot of extra weight and a lift. The weight and the lift compromised the AHC damping to a point I wasn't happy with, even with new globes. When I replaced the AHC I used Bilstein dampers from Aus and the ride and handling was much better than the AHC.

What other springs did you use when you still had AHC?

What other springs did you use when you still had AHC?
used 80 series rears and cranked AHC torsion bars. I don't think Kings were an option in 2010 or I wasn't aware of them. I got off the beaten path a lot more in that 100, so reliability was a bigger factor as well as the handling.

Current 100 has Kings in the rear and AHC torsion bars. There was another 100 in between that I also kept the AHC on. I'm a fan of AHC for the ability to be at standard ride height and maintain that for different loads and I've invested quite a lot in replacing common failure parts on this 100 to keep it reliable. 99% of the time it's empty and on tarmac with maybe 200kg added weight in roof tent, awning, sliders, wheel carrier hence the kings. I haven't fitted air bags yet but will be soon because when it's loaded for exploring there's no way it'll get into H without them. I might see if Pleiades think more pressure in their globes which I'm running would work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom