Need A440F tranny "behavior" info... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, the fluid has been changed about 4 months ago, is not low and does not smell burnt ;)

I took my '93 FZJ80 down to a very reputable shop here in town that has done a lot of excellent work on our 'Cruisers in the past and asked them to look at the shifting of the transmission. :-\

I asked them to particularly look at how it downshifts as you come up to a stop sign/light. It seems that it doesn't shift down soon enough and if you don't come to a complete stop and then get back on the gas there is some slippage for about a second then it downshifts and you go. ???

They told me that it was all adjusted and "in spec". They said the transmission cable was in good shape and adjusted "right". Their answer was that this was the behavior of a transmission that has 265k miles on it and that it's "loose". :rolleyes: I really don't buy this because the tranny shifts perfect as you accelerate, kicks down on hills like it should, kicks into passing gear smoothly when you hit the throttle, etc.

My question to the forum is this: What parts of the tranny govern "downshifting?" Is it affected by the tranny cable? Is it inside in the valves and or clutches?? Any help would be appreciated. I don't trust any other shop in town(including the stealership), so I guess I'll educate myself and tackle this one if I can -- short of rebuilding the tranny. These guys just may not want to "tweak" the tranny adjustments, and I would understand the liability there.

Let me know if you know of anything... :cheers:

Jody.

Check to see if the accelerator cable is binding, it will keep the throttle plate slightly open and keep the kick-down cable from returning all the way.

Stinky is, of course, correct. ;) It's a 442F but closer than a 343 :flipoff2:

D- :banana:

My 94 with 130,000 miles does the exact same thing. I'll check if the accelerator cable is binding. I'm very curious about the solution to this problem.

I was under the impression that in '93 & '94 they still used the A440F tranny and went to the 442F and then the 343???

Jody.

440 in FJ62 and FJ80
442 in FZJ80 93-94
343 in FZJ80 95-97 (US models, IIRC AUS still got 442's)

D-

Ooops. I hang my head in shame....... All praise to the almighty C-Dan!!!

It was '91-'92 that I was thinking about. Sorry folks.

Jody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom