1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a pic of an 80 w/j springs & 1" fr spacer

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by rtiqulatendisco, Aug 27, 2006.

1. rtiqulatendisco

rtiqulatendisco

Looking for a pic or two of an 80 or 450 with j springs and a 1 inch spring spacer in the front. I'm trying to determine if it will sit level with this set up.

Thanks

2. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

Don't have a pic handy, but it does sit pretty level. Be prepared for driveline vibration issues which are worsened by the addition of the spacer.

3. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    X2, especially in the front drive shaft in unloaded situation with foot off of the gas....the rear drive shaft was easily adjusted (using adjustable upper rear control arms) to point the pinion in line with the xfer case rear output.

I am currently running the stock drive shaft until I get the funds for the DC up front.

Pics show 1.5" metal bolt on spacer up front with J's, J's and one OME packer on each side in the rear, and my truck is on the light side (no interior for all intents and purposes).

Best.
    -onur
    Akron, OH
    P1010066.JPG P1010061.JPG

4. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

I just installed my J lift and 1" spacer in front and it seems perfectly level. I'll have to break out the measuring tape to be exact, but here's a pic:

[​IMG]

5. 4x4CPOSEADOG

4x4CPOSEADOG

Hey Cody,

Do you have any driveline vibration with this J's set up? Your truck is looking good :beer: I would like to have the same J's and L shocks but I'm worried about the vibrations.

6. gnx7

gnx7

I want to do the J spring lift as well; however driveline vibrations are one of my biggest concerns.

OME 2.5" heavy lift is all I'm considering right now.

7. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

I haven't take it off road yet after the lift, but I've put about 50 miles on pavement with it and no vibrations besides the quiet whirring of the TerraGrapplers above 45mph.

I took the LX up to about 80mph as I've heard people say the vibrations come on at highway speeds, but never noticed anything different.

The wider tires and more aggressive tread do grab grooves in the road, but no vibrations, rattles, clicks, etc...

8. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

CodyRX7, what caster correction are you running?

9. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

I bought the kit from another CSC member and he included the Slee Caster correction plates. I haven't installed them yet.

Is it possible to not even need the correction bushings or plates on some trucks?

10. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

Does your truck not feel "squirrely" with the negative caster?

11. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My truck is nasty squirrly....almost like I am drunk driving at highway speeds....

Going to do the Slee arms to take care of it in the near future..

12. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

Maybe mine isn't as noticeablely different, since all of my stock bushings crumbled to dust when I was removing the original springs & shocks...

I was in need of an alignment from a slight pull to the left before the lift as well.

The only definate change is that I feel all the little bumps in the road more with the stiffer suspension, and I don't have any aftermarket bumpers or anything weighing me down over stock configuration yet.

13. SOCALFJ

SOCALFJ

Cody, did you install brake lines and sway bars /extensions?

14. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

Nope, and nope.

I wanted to get the lift installed since I already had the 35"s put on. I kept reading that you'd only get a tiny bit of rubbing on the innermost part of the fender at full tuck if you had 35"s on a stock suspension truck.

Well the black line around the bottom of the sheet metal from just SLIGHT travel said differently.

[​IMG]

I even broke one of the mounts for the passenger rear flares, which is why it sticks out a bit.

I didn't want anymore of that body damage, so the lift needed to go on.

I won't be hitting anything but pavement until I get the bumpstop, swaybar, and brakeline extensions tho. Are the extended brakelines just the single hose to each axle?

15. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Extended- Yes.

You can also purchase braided stainless brake lines to each wheel, which some say improve the feel of braking. However, I don't believe these are any longer than stock as they are not effected by lift.

16. Beowulf

Beowulf

Regardless of what you may hear, you need to correct the caster. That squirrelyness that you are feeling is largely due to the misaligned suspension.

-B-

17. Beowulf

Beowulf

2 front, 1 rear.

-B-

18. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

If you're running L shocks atleast get the 3 axle to frame brake lines, if you've got the cash, the axle to caliper lines do make a difference in feel, atleast they did on my '92.

I really don't see how you're not getting a squirrely feeling, could you get a caster sweep done and tell us where you're at? Mine is extremely squirrely after similar lift and caster arms are going on as soon as Waggoner5 gets them to me.

With the bumpstop drops, be careful not to break off any of the bolts. I broke off 5 trying to extend the bump stops.

19. CodyRx7

CodyRx7

Thanks for the headsup.

For the front bumpstops...is there a bolt deep inside the center of that "cone"?

20. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    OR....for the sake of cheapies like me...(I'm not saying everyone should do this or this is the right way, just my way) I made my own extenstions and used the factory lines. Used some strap steel, lowered it down and even with removing shocks and the "hitch-pin" mod I wasn't stretching them.

What I used for the front.
    [​IMG]

The rear
    [​IMG]

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">