Need a NH inspection, where should I go? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title sums it up.

I am in Portsmouth.

Anyone have an Inspection station they trust around here? Cost is not an issue, just want the inspection and for the shop not to screw with the truck.... Example, checking the air cleaner and cracking the intake hose to try and sell extra service or removing inspection plates. I have had the crap happen in the past.

Thanks

Dave

not to resurrect an old thread or anything BUT.....

i am planning on moving to NH sometime in 11 after graduation.
i want to bring my desmogged 1980 fj40 with me most everything has been changed out at one time or another by different POs... i have zero experience with vehicle inspections in Alabama they dont care i could have 3 cars welded together i just have to have a title and cash and they will give me a license plate and wish me the best of luck.

what should i expect to happen when i try to register the vehicle in NH?

They will look for a cat, and make sure there are no leaks on the exhaust. They are more concerned with rust, especially if there are holes in the cab area, where exhaust can get inside. So if you have holes in the floor you may have issues. Brakes need to be good and working, they are supposed to pull one F&R wheel and check them. Some will check lift height, some won't care, it's a gamble. I almost flunked for a slight leak on one of my shocks last year.

As for the engine, if it's pre-OBD2 (prior to '96) they don't even lift the hood, as long as you don't have a Check Engine light on. No sniff test, nothing. None of that dyno testing crap like they have down in MA.

they check lift?!?!?
and i guess ill be buying a cat i kinda figured that....:bang:

ill have to check my cab there arent any holes that concern me but there are a few smaller than quarter size... :meh: but my seats arent attached to rust so i feel confident its safe but what do i know...

can you tell me more about checking the lift? do they have rules about how far out tires can stick??

Here are the latest rules:

Saf-C 3200

Read section 3211.07 on suspension stuff. 3211.06 has info on tires, pretty much they can't stick out at all.

Here are the latest rules:

Saf-C 3200

Read section 3211.07 on suspension stuff. 3211.06 has info on tires, pretty much they can't stick out at all.

DANG! i was planning on moving b/c of the free state project they were telling me how great NH is and how few laws there are but these rules about vehicles suck!! i dont even follow the rules about lifts
so can yall even have 4" lifts???

We all have 4" lifts. But yea, stay in Alabama.

thanks for the advice iv always heard how wonderful yankee hospitality is guess i can call that my first experience with it. :cheers:
I'm the only a-hole here, everyone else is pretty nice.

I'm the only a-hole here, everyone else is pretty nice.

haha i figured you just didnt like the idea of a bunch of people invading your state link
is that a big thing for yall locals or is this just a scam to increase tourism? there anything you have heard about it?

and it looks like my 12.5s are not going to fly... so maybe i need to save up for steelies and 34 10.5 swampers :hmm:

haha i figured you just didnt like the idea of a bunch of people invading your state link
is that a big thing for yall locals or is this just a scam to increase tourism? there anything you have heard about it?

and it looks like my 12.5s are not going to fly... so maybe i need to save up for steelies and 34 10.5 swampers :hmm:

you can always borrow some wheels for inspection purposes. Mine won't help

you can change the vehicle between inspections??? what if you get pulled over and have different tires than what you registered?? or does that just not happen??

On my old 85 pick up I was failed for rust on the bed, Bad e brake (it work but not perfectly), and tires that stuck out from the body. In terms of lift, I have a coworker who lives in maine and drives through NH. I was stopped several times on 95 north based on his bumper height. Keep th elaws in the truck and be sure oyu meet them. If they notice you once, they will be looking for you again...

It is getting harder in NH (coastal area) to "get a sticker"... The DMV has started to fine inspection statons for cars that fail safety inspection by state police.

Good Luck.

you can change the vehicle between inspections??? what if you get pulled over and have different tires than what you registered?? or does that just not happen??

NH is what I call a grey law state. The laws are on the books, but it's entirely up to the officer ,and your attitude, as to what gets enforced. Exhaust stacks are illegal here, but they are all over the place. I ran one for a couple of years with no problems. If your tires stick out put some fender flares on. Technically we are all supposed to have mud flaps on the back of our trucks, none of us do though. My friends '79 40 is a catalytic truck but there hasn't been a cat on there in the last fifteen years, if ever. The closer you live to Mass. the more difficult it can be to get inspected. They're laws and mentality about laws are slowly creeping into NH :bang:
But we don't resent it or anything:rolleyes:

I have 4 31x10.5x15 brand new Toyo AT's on drum (boo) rims if anyone needs to borrow them for inspection purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom