Need a new carb - Who should I buy it from? And which one should i choose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 77 '40 for about 5 years, and i've concluded that I need to replace my carb. The carb that is on it is a weird Weber/Solex 34 DGEC that I think was sold by Quadratec back around 2005-2010. It has developed a pretty dramatic leak at the accelerator pump. I think I found the right rebuild kit for this carb, but I am not 100% sure, so I'm hesitant to order it right now.

I don't have the original 40 air filter or any of the other items required to go back to stock, so I'm guessing that a Weber is the best way to go? I know that there are a lot of threads talking about this, and i've read many of them, but for my specific situation, what would you guys do?

go back to oe, with a nonusa oem....the only thing to do with the weber is drop it in the trash can.

the only thing to do with the weber is drop it in the trash can.
No, incorrect. It is well documented that when one removes a Weber carb the correct procedure is to take it to the edge of your property, throw it far into some bushes. Then throw stones AND shout bad words after it. Many people forget to do both.
Back to the OP; the obvious choice is to back to stock. But, gathering all the linkage parts (or cable parts), And a carb is neither cheap nor easy.
A cheap rebuild kit may buy enough time to do more thorough research.

No, incorrect. It is well documented that when one removes a Weber carb the correct procedure is to take it to the edge of your property, throw it far into some bushes. Then throw stones AND shout bad words after it. Many people forget to do both.
Back to the OP; the obvious choice is to back to stock. But, gathering all the linkage parts (or cable parts), And a carb is neither cheap nor easy.
A cheap rebuild kit may buy enough time to do more thorough research.
i wouldnt want to insult my neighbor by throwing one on his property.

Last edited:
go back to oe, with a nonusa oem....the only thing to do with the weber is drop it in the trash can.

I have heard from people on here the weber is bad. But no one really says why ? Also, what makes the OEM so great vs. this weber ? Searching the web I find many people/forums praising them.

I had a Weber on my 69. It was the smaller one. It was great. The key was getting the fuel pressure down where the Weber recommends. 3.5psi if I remember correctly

I run a rebuilt stock 60 carb that I got (unrebuilt) from Mosley motors. A member of the local TLCA club I am in rebuilt it for me and it has performed flawlessly for 2 years. I sourced the linkage from an australian mud member and it was not easy but in the end I am VERY happy I went to the effort to go that way.

I have Webber 32\36 on my Toyota truck (85) 22R, 4 cylinder. I like it, runs great. Buy a good (read 80$) fuel pressure regulator and start at 3 psi. Might need more or less pressure. The cheap 12$ regulator couldn't dial in for me, it overpowered the carb. I'm not sure about the linkage for the accelerator, and I think you need the one without the electric choke. Don't quote me. Purists on here (the Aisin carb guys), know what they like, take their advice if you can afford it. Used air cleaner, filters are cheap, not sure what else you might need, but its available. I have a stock aisin carb on my FJ40 rebuilt by mark. I loved it, until my rings went bad...rebuilding motor as we speak. Thanks mark!

Last edited:
Here’s my journey back from the brink, can’t believe it’s almost been 10 years.

I’ve had good luck with Weber’s. I would recommend one with manual choke.

If you might be inclined to avoid a factory carb or Weber carb, and you don't mind a visit to ebay, you might look at the following:
GM TBI Conversion, ebay #254371192083
Adapter Kit for Holley Sniper Conversion, ebay #254962961203
Holley 350 Conversion, ebay #265143683037 or #255007686707

Just Saying !!!!

Here’s my journey back from the brink, can’t believe it’s almost been 10 years.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I will look through it.

I’ve had a Trollhole carb for the last 2,500 miles and it works flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom