Need a new carb. Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The charcoal canister absorbs and stores fuel vapors from the gas tank and then when you are at steady throttle on the highway it has a valve that opens allowing the engine to suck those stored vapors back into the engine. Its an emission control device on every car made for the last 25+ years sold in the USA.
Whoa! Does it help with economy?

Whoa! Does it help with economy?

Technically yes. But given the fj60 has the aerodynamics of a barn and an engine that is only slightly more efficient than a water wheel you are unlikely to notice its existence in terms of mileage gain/loss. It is a good thing to have though because it helps deal with fuel vapors.

Would advancing the distributor help out at high altitude? I’m not a high altitude...but I want to be.
Yes, thats all that th HAC does. As you go up in altitude it provides additional advance to the distributor...thats why there are two vacuum ports on the diaphragm on the side of the distributor.

HAC also bleeds air (leans out mix about 5-6%) into the two ports on the Air Horn on the OE carb. Those ports are missing on the clones. Thin air at altitude means rich mix.

Your best bet if you want to retain full functionality is to find a good used OE stock carb and have it rebuilt by one of the MUD Carb Gurus.

Last edited:
HAC also bleeds air (leans out mix about 5-6%) into the two ports on the Air Horn on the OE carb. Those ports are missing on the clones. Thin air at altitude means rich mix.

You're best bet if you want to retain full functionality is to find a good used OE stock carb and have it rebuilt by one of the MUD Carb Gurus.

this.

I get to 4,000 ft and I tee the pods together. It works great and l have gone over 14,000 ft like that. I thought about using a spare ac solenoid but it doesn’t seem worth it. It takes me 1 min to rig up.

I need to find that charcoal fix. I need a large vacuum source like the oem carb had.
Someone on this forum and it seems I cannot find the bookmark now. Managed this with a spare Toyota vacuum solenoid mounted to an incab switch. When he hits a higher altitude he enabled the switch. I am still hunting for that post. Seems to have worked for him.

I still have my charcoal canister and am desmogged so not sure why you would have removed it. Even when I ran my Holley carb I managed to plumb it in.

Found it and you @HemiAlex even posted a like

I see stock aisin carbs on eBay now and then.

I might have one for sale in June if I make it through the culling at my company.

I've got a spare OE carb if anyone needs it as the basis for a rebuild. Was running fine when I pulled it, but truck wasn't passing smog, so I got another one, and had it rebuilt by Nate at Marlin Crawler. Put that one on, passed smog, and have had the original one in a box in my garage for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom