Need a measurement off a 4X4Labs bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm fabbing up the swing outs on my 4x4labs bumper. I need the vertical measurement form the swing arm to the center of the spare tire mounting point.

I highlighted the pic below in red.
Picture 065red.jpg

Use your spare and the tire holder/receiver to guestimate. I would think this varies with tire size and use.
tire_carrier.jpg
tire_carrier.jpg

Thanks Luke, also thanks for the fast shipment on the parts I ordered several months ago. The spindles are BEEFY!

I’ve dragged my spare on a couple of really steep faces, that is a 35 inch BFG AT. I would go higher and angle it with the rear window if I were you.

I’ve dragged my spare on a couple of really steep faces, that is a 35 inch BFG AT. I would go higher and angle it with the rear window if I were you.

I was wondering that also. I saw a YouTube video of someone with what looks to be a Slee that dragged his spare on a steep vertical climb. Good idea on the angled tire.

After one year of dragging my 36" swamper on the bottom and the side (mines on the pax side) I lifted mine 6" and moved it inboard 4". Essentially I took a sheet of plywood and checked my departure angle with the swampers installed and raised the spare until there was no chance of hitting the tire on a average departure.

Edit:

Here's a couple pics of pre and post bumper mods which included modifying the tire carrier. It's a little difficult to see the height change but the bottom of the tire went from even with the swing out to 6" higher.

Pre
IMG_0853.jpg

Last edited:

Agree, depending on the wheeling that you are planning, it's good to raise it. The bumper angles are good, slides well, doesn't hang when slid on the ground, so it's easy to slide it off of ledges onto the spare. The spare contacting the ground has pretty good traction, so puts a big load on the carrier, sometimes bending it. Some of us solved the problem by going without swings, others have raised the carrier. The highest in our group is azrider's rig.:hillbilly:

attachment.php

Thanks Tools, looked in the AZ forum and found some good pics of Azriders setup.

Thanks Tools, looked in the AZ forum and found some good pics of Azriders setup.

The higher that it is made, the higher the leverage the spare has on the carrier, so needs to be made strong enough. When made taller, the movement will be greater, so make sure to have plenty of clearance to the tailgate, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom