Need a LC mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know a LC knowledgeable mechanic around western suburbs? I have a 78 FJ40 that I want to have gone over to make sure it was put back together correctly and fix a few minor issues. nothing major at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

:bang:

I would check out ChiTown 4x4 in Carol Stream.

I actually came to these forums looking for someone in the city. I typically take my trucks to Rick at ChiTown but since selling my 16 Tacoma and picking up an 87 LC I was hoping to find someone who could help me track down all the little gremlins without having to drive an hour+ each time, take the train back if they needed to keep it, etc..

One post did mention Keiji in Skokie, which is closer but still half an hour each way. His yelp reviews also have a few instances of him looking at an older car with issues and basically saying "sell it" and walking away. So that isn't confidence inspiring.

But man, pretty much every forum post here "looking for mechanic" is responded to with, I'll just say very unhelpful comments. I didn't realize I needed to be a mechanic to own a truck. I am a programmer, and rarely find myself telling people having problems with their computers "omg, go learn some x86ASM you idiot!!". Weird attitude people.

So that said, if anyone helpful knows of someone in the city who can rebuild a carb, figure out an exhaust leak, etc.. I'd appreciate a recommendation. I am also trying to learn more to DIY, but aside from Youtube videos I'm at a bit of a loss. Every other hobby I've picked up there are classes/workshops etc.. I am curious where everyone learned what they know?

Land cruisers, like rovers, old jeeps and classic pickups, appreciate it when their owners care enough to learn about them. They aren’t complicated and reward those who know their quirks.

When they get bought as cruise night toys and as investments, yeah, those of us that love old Toyotas for what they are get a little less helpful.

I would check out ChiTown 4x4 in Carol Stream.

Heads up Rob!

But man, pretty much every forum post here "looking for mechanic" is responded to with, I'll just say very unhelpful comments.

Just because the correct answers are not what you want to hear doesn't make us unhelpful. Any tude you are picking up from us is because we get asked this all the time, and a simple search would have revealed the same true answer.

I am also trying to learn more to DIY, but aside from Youtube videos I'm at a bit of a loss. Every other hobby I've picked up there are classes/workshops etc.. I am curious where everyone learned what they know?

1. By unbolting stuff.
2. By searching and reading tech threads on mud and pirate and yotatech, etc...
3. By not going into the local clubhouse forum and trying to get my neighbor or a shop to fix my stuff for me. Are you wanting to DIY? Or are you one of the MANY new posers like all the sad lifestyle youtube channels and pintrest/face-space/whatever accounts, or do you really just want to drive around in a vehicle that someone else works on, but make you look like you DIY when you pull up to the mall, soccer game, fantasy football draft, or whatever you are doing instead of wrenching/learning into the wee hours of the morning like we have been doing for years?

Last edited:
Just because the correct answers are not what you want to hear doesn't make us unhelpful. Any tude you are picking up from us is because we get asked this all the time, and a simple search would have revealed the same true answer.
I wrote, "pretty much every forum post here 'looking for mechanic' is responded to with...". So clearly I did a simple search. And I am not sure what is "true" about being told to **** off, go climb uphill both ways in the snow like we did. Why have a public forum at all if anyone new who shows up not already knowing the answers receives nothing but attitude and snark.

Are you wanting to DIY? Or are you one of the MANY new posers like all the sad lifestyle youtube channels and pintrest/face-space/whatever accounts, or do you really just want to drive around in a vehicle that someone else works on, but make you look like you DIY when you pull up to the mall, soccer game, fantasy football draft, or whatever you are doing instead of wrenching/learning into the wee hours of the morning like we have been doing for years?
Jesus Christ. You don't know any ****ing thing about me aside from the fact that I'd like to know if there is a mechanic in the city familiar with old trucks. How the hell did you learn again? Your dad, your friends? That's nice for you. I'm starting from scratch with little knowledge or resource, hence why I'm here asking questions.

You really want to know about me? (I doubt it, but I'll share anyway). I taught myself to program computers 25 years ago. I used books, took some college courses and entered the work force (with no degree). I continued to learn on my own for two and a half decades. I now own my own business.

I taught myself photography. I bought a s***ty dslr like everyone else and then I learned to use it in manual mode, figured out how it actually worked. Now, 5 years later, I own one fully manual only digital camera and the rest are all film cameras. I process my own film. I am in the middle of building a darkroom.

I am in the process of teaching myself woodworking. I took a class in the city. It sucked, I dropped out. I watched a ton of videos, bought some hand tools, built a storage system for the back of my Tacoma. I am currently building cabinets for my darkroom.

I've always wanted to know how cars work, but they are stupidly complicated and I don't have any friends or family who know jack s*** about them. So I sold my perfectly good 2016 Toyota Tacoma and bought a 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser. Because I love trucks, and I want something well built and reliable(ish), and I love jumping in the deep end. It is my daily driver. I bought the service manuals and watch and damn thing I can find on youtube that might be helpful. But its still pretty complicated as someone who knows nothing. And if I take it apart and can't put it back together I'm stuck at home. So yea, I'd love to have a mechanic nearby that can bail me out, point me in the right direction, and take over when I get in over my head. You don't like that approach? Too ****ing bad, you don't get any say at all in how I live my life.

Now is someone going to tell me a good mechanic in the ****ing city or what?

Should have read the other threads as well as you read your computer programming books. The answer is in there.... No, we do not know of a local cruiser mechanic. You think we know and are just not saying to be dicks....?

You think we know and are just not saying to be dicks....?
Hahaha yes, that's exactly what I thought!

Ok, so I just assumed you all had mechanics you fell back on when you couldnt / didnt want to/ didnt have time to / etc. do your own work... you seriously don't? Wow... ok. I have no response to that.

My truck died in a Home Depot parking lot the other night, wouldn't turn over. I pushed it across the parking lot to the Pep Boys. They told me, to paraphrase, "it better be the battery, because we aren't touching that engine". When I would take my Tacoma in to the local Toyota dealership the guys who drove it in to the service bay couldn't drive a stick shift, so I had to. No joke. So, I'm not looking for superman here, just someone who has seen a carburetor before, preferably born before my truck was made, isn't a s***head who will try to rip me off... But **** it, I guess I can just start unbolting things until I find the problem or have a pile of parts on the floor that I don't know how to put back together. Thanks for the help! :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I sold my perfectly good 2016 Toyota Tacoma and bought a 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser. Because I love trucks, and I want something well built and reliable(ish), and I love jumping in the deep end.

My truck died in a Home Depot parking lot the other night, wouldn't turn over. I pushed it across the parking lot to the Pep Boys. They told me, to paraphrase, "it better be the battery, because we aren't touching that engine".

Sink or swim

Its one thing to come to a forum asking for help with a problem. Its another to come to a forum to make it seem like you want to do the work when in reality you want someone to fix it for your for free or really cheap.

To quote a wise forum elder, "Im not say'n, I'm just say'n"

Its one thing to come to a forum asking for help with a problem. Its another to come to a forum to make it seem like you want to do the work when in reality you want someone to fix it for your for free or really cheap.

I did come for help with a problem; lack of knowledge about a mechanic in the city.

I did not come here to make it seem like I want to "do the work", whatever that means, though I did say I want to gain knowledge about fixing my truck. That said, I think I have been pretty straightforward about wanting professional help during the learning process. 8pm in a parking lot in 25 degree weather with no tools or resources wasn't likely to be the place I have a sudden epiphany on how to diagnose why my truck won't start and fix it on my own.

I never said anything about free or cheap. Though I have seen tons of posts around here offering and asking for help with projects in return for a 6 pack or whatever, so it doesn't really seem like that would be a frowned upon thing if it had occurred.

It seems like people here are taking out their frustration on some stereotypical, hypothetical villain. I'm just a dude who bought a truck I want to keep running and am looking for resources, knowledge and help. Aren't I in the right place? And before you point out my attitude I'll suggest you all follow your own advice and "do a simple search" and put together a list of common responses to noob questions. I think you'll pretty quickly understand why new people get defensive or leave. (hint: it's not them)

Ooooo start the FAQ on common responses to noob questions: anyone have a good landcruiser specific mechanic near (insert suburb here)? NO!

How many feet down the trail will the pig break? Trick question it broke coming off the trailer

Will Hoff be at X event? probibly not

Who gives the best rusty trombone? Tony

Should I own a cruiser with the mechanical knowledge and same amount of tools as a 14yr old girl? Definitely not

Yeah, you guy's are mean. If you were nicer then maybe the "cruiser meet n greet" croud will come play with us....

Damn Fellas! (That's directed at everybody.) :bang:

"Can't we all just get along,"
- Rodney King :)

You really don't know me at all, do you Walter.?

Damn Fellas! (That's directed at everybody.) :bang:

"Can't we all just get along,"
- Rodney King :)

Don't direct things at me, don't lump me in these facking martians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom