Need a large screen for my FJ60 stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My eyes are to the point where trying to use my phone for directions is not the safest of practices. I miss the large screen I had in my commuter car when life was normal and I drove into the office. (2016 GTI). I've tried searching and the only thing I've come across is a pioneer unit, but it looks like the screen needs to be mounted into the dash. Are there any good brand name radios where the screen sticks out from the single din (essentially floating out there like in the tesla)....figure if something like that exists it would be my best bet.

Sorry if this has been asked/covered before...I've searched, but found nothing. Thanks.

Curious, has anyone put a floating large screen in a 60 and what's your experience? I was looking at the Boss BE9ACP-C Package for most flexibility sticking out of the dash but not sure if the neck would survive the 60's ride. Also not sure I want that thing interupting the aesthetic of moment, leaning more towards the Continental in this thread

Curious, has anyone put a floating large screen in a 60 and what's your experience? I was looking at the Boss BE9ACP-C Package for most flexibility sticking out of the dash but not sure if the neck would survive the 60's ride. Also not sure I want that thing interupting the aesthetic of moment, leaning more towards the Continental in this thread
Not sure you'd get the poster to reply, but here's an 'Mud Alpine "Halo" bench install someone did in a disembodied dash in Qatar.

I can assure you the Alpine Halo decks are pretty stoutly mounted. I only used the top two, of four, screen mount screws in a sedan I used to own. This was so I could flip the screen up to get to a lower pocket, but it was solid as hell. They're also good Android Auto (wired) decks, integrate well with a backup camera, e-brake menu lockouts can be bypassed, has a decent interface and usable library/playlist controls.

You have limited L-R, Up Down adjustments with most floating screens and a lot of glare-prone flat windows in 60, not sure how usable any screen that big is going to be mounted as high up as a 60 dictates. Should definitely consider brightness, and if you can find a transflective display these days, definitely get that.

Not sure you'd get the poster to reply, but here's an 'Mud Alpine "Halo" bench install someone did in a disembodied dash in Qatar.

I can assure you the Alpine Halo decks are pretty stoutly mounted. I only used the top two, of four, screen mount screws in a sedan I used to own. This was so I could flip the screen up to get to a lower pocket, but it was solid as hell. They're also good Android Auto (wired) decks, integrate well with a backup camera, e-brake menu lockouts can be bypassed, has a decent interface and usable library/playlist controls.

You have limited L-R, Up Down adjustments with most floating screens and a lot of glare-prone flat windows in 60, not sure how usable any screen that big is going to be mounted as high up as a 60 dictates. Should definitely consider brightness, and if you can find a transflective display these days, definitely get that.
Thanks, good thoughts and that's a good thread. "Watched". I'm thinking it makes more sense to go with a "standard" but capable head and plug n play a phone or tablet as required. Trying to stay as close to stock as I can.

Here's what a customer of mine did.
He says the screen is adjustable in height etc. This may be the route I go in the future.
*Edit - The unit he used is not available anymore, I guess its just an inspiration piece now haha

He used the bracket I sell here

This is the Sony unit I installed into my HJ61. I didn’t want a double din unit as I place my wallet in the storage compartment underneath, and didn’t want to lose this space… I absolutely love it!
4ED56956-0D1C-452E-8BD0-B2208D04495F.jpeg
0FC59C51-5AF1-4CE8-9E1F-3FFD103FE4D0.jpeg

This is the Sony unit I installed into my HJ61. I didn’t want a double din unit as I place my wallet in the storage compartment underneath, and didn’t want to lose this space… I absolutely love it! View attachment 2974957View attachment 2974963
From my eye level when driving, the top of the screen of the Sony is level with the bottom of the windscreen - so doesn’t hinder vision at all (and I am short…)

Looks nice! And no issues with vibration or jolting on rough surfaces? The HJ61 dash is pretty different from the FJ60 from memory (unfortunately it's been awhile since I've seen mine from the driver's seat)

This is the Sony unit I installed into my HJ61. I didn’t want a double din unit as I place my wallet in the storage compartment underneath, and didn’t want to lose this space… I absolutely love it! View attachment 2974957View attachment 2974963
Thanks for posting this. This is actually the one I'm planning to get for my FJ60. It was either this or the Alpine....but really didn't want to pay $900 for the Alpine. Any issues installing it? It was strange, Crutchfield said that this unit would not work in the FJ60, but the Alpine iLX-409 would. Both are single din units.

Last edited:
This guy did a flip out screen single din unit which he said is a Kenwood. Would be nice in that the screen folds into the body of the unit.
2946EF35-12EE-4609-A66F-CCDBE0E1DD77.jpeg
3F87AA69-06A6-4856-83EB-53B072F0AA78.jpeg

This guy did a flip out screen single din unit which he said is a Kenwood. Would be nice in that the screen folds into the body of the unit. View attachment 2975550View attachment 2975551
that type of setup would actually make me more nervous. The thing I like about the Sony is the bracket that connects the screen to the body is very stout...and will most likely take the bouncing around much better. I would think this setup would make the potential for the screen to get damaged much higher (since the brackets aren't fixed). Just mho.

Thanks for posting this. This is actually the one I'm planning to get for my FJ60. It was either this or the Alpine....but really didn't want to pay $900 for the Alpine. Any issues installing it? It was strange, Crutchfield said that this unit would not work in the FJ60, but the Alpine iLX-409 would. Both are single din units.
The Sony is fixed solid! I travelled on the Gibb River Road - which is one of the most notorious dirt roads in the North West of Western Australia and it didn’t move / shake etc at all!

According to the instructions it won’t fit as the dash pad protrudes too far out from the single din ‘hole’. I ended up drilling 2 tiny holes through the dash pad to fit a small screwdriver in to make it easy to screw the screen-securing screws in (my dash is cracked anyway, and has a dash mat over it…). I spoke to someone else who used small machine bolts instead and didn’t drill through the dash.
To me, it couldn’t be a better fit!

Here are a few pics. One from my driving position showing it doesn’t intrude into the view, one of the clearance behind the screen to the dash, and one of the holes I drilled (unsure why there are 4! - must have made a mistake first time around!!)

5DD7F713-17DD-4E1F-821A-A9FCDE8B1127.jpeg

341F8C9F-957D-4BAB-9541-322EAC4D1D11.jpeg

B72B5CE7-3E67-4479-96E0-ABC2F2F7E77D.jpeg

For the FJ60 model I could modify my design to incorporate the spacers to extrude farther out. My unit already uses spacers for a Normal single din radio to provide for better accessibility. I do have the FJ62 Double DIN radio brackets on a file, If there was a need I could attempt to make a version of it that would allow for better double DIN radio installation.
radiobracket.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom