Wanted Need 4 speed parts, doing swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a 4 speed swap into 72 fj40, need the following:
4 speed transfer case linkage
All bolts to 4 speed trans front cover
Bolts for transmission to t-case
4 speed drive shafts

I’m in Phoenix AZ, thanks!

There are two versions of transfer case shift linkage. Which way the high/low lever on the transfer case is pointed will determine which one you need. Either style can be used if you tear down the transfer and replace the shaft for the high/low lever to match if not already. If the high/low lever points to the right you need the E-4/75 style. If it points forward you need the 4/75+ style.

So I’m using the 4 speed shift linkage on my 72 3 speed tcase to complete the install. Did not know of the differences. So I can only use 74 and 75 linkage for the conversion?

So I’m using the 4 speed shift linkage on my 72 3 speed tcase to complete the install. Did not know of the differences. So I can only use 74 and 75 linkage for the conversion?

You can use either. But to use the later style you would need to remove the top cover of the transfer case and replace the post that operates the high/low shift collar. The flat section needs to be at the front not the side for the later style. My 79 FJ40 someone made a hybrid setup when they installed a transfer case from a 74. I've had the 79 for a look time but never knew about these until exploring transfer case shifter options for a planned H55F conversion. It worked but not the route I would have taken.

Do you have the four speed box that bolts to the front nose come on the transfer case? The shaft on that is longer. Your going to need that regardless of which linkage you use. Did three speed to four speed conversion on my 68 back in 1994.

I don’t know if I have that part, I thought that was only on the later 4 speeds that had that spacer for the split transfer cases, do you have a pic of what your talking about?

I don’t know if I have that part, I thought that was only on the later 4 speeds that had that spacer for the split transfer cases, do you have a pic of what your talking about?

The four speed is about three and half inches longer than the three speed which is why you need the one with a the longer shaft. Other wise the transfer shifter would further back rather than equal to the transmission shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom