Need 30-50hp In My 1993 Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I am new to this forum, and hear is the deal I now own a Super clean 1993 Toyota Landcruiser that I do not want to sell for a muscle truck and I need to tow a Lexus sc400 on a full carrier from California to Florida, and I fear with the stock IFZ-FE engine it may be slightly underpowered. This is a strong and light cruiser to begin with compared to most in addition I have also installed a K@N filter, quietflow muffler, and highflow cat, and it pulls well, however, I believe I need about 30-50 more horsepower to feel confortable towing. What can I do? I am considering the TRD supercharger but too much $$$. What else can I do, headers maybe, piggy back ecu, what, ANYONE? What brands as well, I have been out of the Landcruiser seen for about 10 years or so. Please advise? These are pics of my Cruiser and Lex I will be towing

Last edited:
Buy a plane ticket one way and drive the lexus. It will be way more fun! think of the ladies you could meet on the way. you could get the landcruiser chicks the first trip, and the ritzy ones the second trip.

I think the majority of you're trip will be on flat ground and the LC would probably be ok. I would take it as it is and just don't get in a hurry. Make sure the trailer has brakes, not sure if the LC has enough stopping power in an emergency situation.

I would think it would pull fine. In aust. 80's (the later ones) are rated to tow 3.5 tonne trailers. that lexus on a float I would think would come in about 2.5 tonne. so that's 70 percent of it's towing capacity (you can figure that out in us pounts if you want)

Dont forget to double check your cooling system and possibly @ a tranny cooler to it if you decide to tow that far.

Personally, i would ship the car!

You'll spend at least $450 in gas to get that thing home. For a couple hundred more you can have it shipped and save the wear and tear on your LC and the SC.

To address the original question, the only way to see that kind of power gain is to add forced induction or hand-build a power plant such as Robbie has done. Either way you slice it it aint chump change.

Install smaller tires for more power, maybe?

As goofy as that sounds, it would work.

Two years ago I shipped a car from Texas to Michigan. It was $450 door to door. I spent about a week contacting car haulers and negotiating prices. IMHO, that is the way to go.

ship it

Well, let's ignor the amount of horsepower he wants. What upgrades can be done with the exception of forced induction? Are there any air intake kits, exhaust systems, any kind of chips for these? What kind of power do you think they will add?

I'm also interested in a little more power, but don't want to spend the kind of money it takes for a blower.

There is basically nothing you can do to the stock LC in term of bolt on parts to make any significant changes in power. If you want to make the truck faster and don't want to pay for forced induction or a rebuilt motor take a lesson from Colin Chapman. Pull the interior out leaving only the drivers seat (and I mean everything, carpet, soundproofing, etc), take the bumpers off, take the A/C out, stereo out, and heater stuff out. You should be able to drop a good 500-1000 pounds doing this. Well worth 40-50 horsepower. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom