Need 2f Alternator bracket. Where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the process of power steering install on an F motor. Got the PS pump w/ skinny pully mounted low on driver side in place of alternator, double crank pulley with wide pulley towards motor and skinny pulley on the outside. Now i need to mount the alternator on the passenger side. From what ive read, i only need a 2f Alt bracket and 2 belts to complete my mission. Where can i get a 2f ALT bracket? Cant find any used ones. I need it ASAP.

Also, i was told when i bought my cruiser it had a 78 motor, assuming it was a 2f. But after starting the power steering coinversion, im learning its actually an "F" motor. Bummer. Its part of what sold me on the damn thing.

did you post in the wanted section good luck

see you did already sorry

Why do you now think its an F motor?

I just finished moving my alt to the pass side on my 1971 F engine. Got the 2F alt bracket from Mark at Mark's Offroad (www.marksoffroad.net). It is best to call him instead of e-mail. Great guy to work with and knows his stuff.

How did you mount your PS pump? What did you have to do to get the PS pump pulley to line up with the front/narrow pulley groove? I also got his power steering pump bracket which bolts on in place of the F engine alt bracket. Don't have that part done yet so don't know if I'll use the bracket or fab up my own. I may need to find an offset narrow pulley for my sag pump before I decide where and how to mount the pump. I want to be able to run off the front narrow groove on the damper pulley like it you did.

Why do you now think its an F motor?

I'm wondering the same thing. 78 should have been a 2F for sure. Is your valve cover aluminum or steel? Where is your oil fill? What are the numbers stamped on the block?

Sepr2- i think its an f motor now because the alternator is mounted on the driver side down low, the crank pulley had only one wide belt groove, not 2 pulleys, there are only 2 engine hook holes on the passenger side front of the block, not 3. Correct me if im wrong, im new to this cruiser thing:) How else could i tell.

Handcannon-I got a parts rig from a friend and it had power steering on it, well, whats left of it, the power steering pump had a bracket already mounted to it that mounted below the driverside engine mount. Looks factory, wondering if it came off the old inline6 chevy motor or something.

Dave-T- Oil fill is on the passenger side of block. Not sure if cover is alum or steel, its painted black. I'll check numbers today, my cruiser is at my parents house, they got the garage and shop, all i got is a gravel driveway, haha.

Sounds like an F to me.

I ran the F alternator and bracket on my 2F for 3 years before I changed, so that is not an indicator.

Read the engine number low on the block behind the distributor. That will tell you what you have.

When my 2F went into the '71 to replace the F, the original '71 pulleys, alt. in same position with same mount, intake & carb, distributor (non USA added to F) were used on the 2F. Just thinking those things may not tell you for sure...Brian

These numbers were on the driver side of the block-10422, below that number was 143. Mean anything? Any numbers elsewhere?

I think the number you posted is the block casting number.

On a flat plate below and behind the distributor (near the timing window) there is a flat, machined spot that sticks out of the block. It's just below the oil gallery cover.

If you wipe it off, it has your engine serial number. It will start with either 2F or F. My '74 is F529312

Good Luck -

Rocky

Check this thread, scroll down to about Post 23 to see what the S/N stamping looks like

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=82256&highlight=Engine+Serial+Number

yup, starts with a single "F". I feel so used...haha, oh well, at least it runs well...for now. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom