Need 1981 HJ47 Mechanic Recommendations for DC, Northern Virginia, Maryland Areas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I’ve used Iron Pig before with good experience. Any thoughts on Land Cruiser Heaven?
Agreed there are varying opinions on LCH. I used them in the past for a minor job and felt they were honest and gave the appropriate options. Ultimately, I decided not to have the work done based on their recommendation. Most of the bad reviews, I have read have been in the past, and don't believe I have seen too many of late. Yes, they are very active on social media and have the appearance of doing good things. They appear to be very busy and a lot of vehicles are coming and going. I "think" if they were doing bad work it would show up more often as they have grown. They are super busy and it will take time to get on their calendar and get the work done. With that being said, they primarily do a lot of import work so they may be more familiar with a non-US spec than other shops. Once again, this all based on one interaction and I would say it is at least worth giving them a call or driving up to their shop and taking a look.

Agreed there are varying opinions on LCH. I used them in the past for a minor job and felt they were honest and gave the appropriate options. Ultimately, I decided not to have the work done based on their recommendation. Most of the bad reviews, I have read have been in the past, and don't believe I have seen too many of late. Yes, they are very active on social media and have the appearance of doing good things. They appear to be very busy and a lot of vehicles are coming and going. I "think" if they were doing bad work it would show up more often as they have grown. They are super busy and it will take time to get on their calendar and get the work done. With that being said, they primarily do a lot of import work so they may be more familiar with a non-US spec than other shops. Once again, this all based on one interaction and I would say it is at least worth giving them a call or driving up to their shop and taking a look.
Well after reading the other Thread posted about Buyer Beware Reviews...I should probably delete my post but wanted to at least give my opinion on my interaction.

I'm gonna go with not OTRAMM :) We don't work on the non US spec trucks. Thanks for the recommendations though.
Now, that would just be for engine work, no? Because everything else on a *J40/60 is the same...
My point here is if the OP needs his knuckles redone, or brake work, or suspension work, it doesn't matter if it is US or Non-US, correct?

Had a phone call with Land Cruiser Heaven. Didn’t have a good feeling.
After personally witnessing some of their work on an engine from a couple years ago, they would not be my 1st choice for engine work. That is not a dig, just an observation from someone with a fair amount of experience with Cruisers. They may have improved since, but I have no current points of reference.

What are you looking to have done to your troopy?

We don't work on anything non US spec, period. The vast majority of the stuff being imported is clapped out and butchered garbage. It's not worth the trouble of working on.
That's racist.

I'm sure you see your share of cruisers that are clapped out and butchered right here in the good 'ole USofA.

that's too bad, I'd heard great things about the otramm shop. thanks for the heads up, at least I can scratch your shop off of my list.

Last edited:
Not sure how it can be racist, we don't do anything outside the US, no Australia, no JDM, no South and Central America,
I was KIDDING. I get it, you hate them all equally ;)

C’mon man! You’ve seen one Schedule 40 driveshaft, you’ve seen them all!
More like welded on power steering pumps... and gutted brake drums.

Don’t be a hater on the juicy driveshafts.

C’mon man! You’ve seen one Schedule 40 driveshaft, you’ve seen them all!
Any real redneck fabricator knows sch40 is overkill sch10 works just fine!

Any real redneck fabricator knows sch40 is overkill sch10 works just fine!
I prefer the square driveshaft for
The extra clunks.

It's not so much that I hate the trucks, it's the unpredictable nature of what we'll find. That and I know absolutely nothing about Diesels.
Well, I can say that if it weren’t for you answering my basic wrenching questions, I wouldn’t have been able to change the timing belt on my HZJ73. Thanks again Ryan!

We had one come in that had the front driveshaft made from juice cans welded end to end! Same one had cut up strips of milk jug for spring bushings.
I can attest to that one cause I saw it as well.
Wasn't that a ebay purchase or something?
The 70 series pick up that had a foot of mud in the fenders but new paint on it was another gem.

Ryan regularly works on US spec pieces of s***. I just dropped mine off there today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom