near death steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit said:
Kind've :D

I have never done a cut/turn so that we could put the caster back to original, seeing as original was 1-2 degrees (sometimes 1+ degree of side to side). In every case, we increase the caster to 3-6 degrees for better road handling. Toyota improved the caster on later Cruisers (FJ62's had some caster built in). So yes, the cut/turn does allow for proper u-joint angles (not just a CV joint) but it also improves the stock steering too. :D

Technicalities. ;)

Hey bandy, how long are your shackles from bolt center to center?

bandy rooster said:
i'm gonna try some 4 degree shims in the front and see what happens

4 degree shims won't help if your are sitting at -6 right now. Measure first. You can also maesure off the original bottom perch if it is still there. Its original setting is 0 degrees. With 2.5 inch lift springs, chances are your drivshaft won't be happy when the caster angle is correct, so you may be looking at a cut and turn any way.

alright... i'll check the shackle tonight... i'm sorry its just that the truck isn't in my posession its at the garage and its hard to answer your questions...

when was the last time the knuckles and bearings were replaced. i did that and it made a huge difference

my sweet 40 didn't pass inspection (long story) but i'll be posting up more info and pics tomorrow...

but for now ...its another butthole puckering ride home in the 40... wish me luck lol

I was thinking about selling my springs because there fairly new and picking up a set of 55 or 60 springs or something of good quality, staying sprung over and doing a shackle reversal for better handling on road.... i'll prob. do a knuckle rebuild soon, get the marlin crawler tie rod/drag link with 80 series tie rod ends as well, still un-sure about the cut and turn and castor because i got mixed signals about that... but i'll update tomorrow for sure

and thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Shackle?

If you have extended shackles in the front, it makes the caster more negative (bad). Save your money on the SR and just fix the caster problem. They don't have much effect one way or theother on handleing in my experience.

Pin_Head said:
Shackle?

If you have extended shackles in the front, it makes the caster more negative (bad). Save your money on the SR and just fix the caster problem. They don't have much effect one way or theother on handleing in my experience.

Bingo on the SR, they have their benefits btu not on handling.

When you get the truck home, jack it up and see if there is any play anywhere.

clank the steering wheel to check your Tie Rod Ends and the main front steering knuckle/arm (not sure of the proper name) because mine have gone bad and my 74 does this exact same thing...luckily Franky40 lives about 10-15miles from my place and is gonna help me out with it possibly...good luck!

alright i'll post up around up tonight around 7 (eastern) with some questions and answers..i'll be adjusting tow in tooo

TOE-in, TOE-in!

"Tow in" is what will be happening if you keep driving it like this!

Seen on the back of a local towing company's flatbed:

"We don't charge an arm and a leg, we just want all of your tows!"

Not that you asked, but I would wait on the SR as well. Lots of people are opposed to them (Read Jim C. article in Technical Links) but you have enough issues going on right now - do not complicate things by adding another set of variables to the equation... Fix what is in place, and then improve from there. Try to do it all at once and you will get frustrated and broke.

Good luck!

yea i don't know what i was thinking with the SR...but my shackles are from the center of the bolt hole to center of bolt hole is 4.5 inches. whats stock? i'm def going back to stock if this isn't it....

I have seen you tie rod first hand...kinda like a banana cut in half and booger weled back together with peanut butter...

10 bucks you got a major case of TOW-OUT...i'll be there soon brotha. If ya dont feel like waiting there is a part in the tech section showing you how to adjust tow in...

see ya soon brotha..

-Al

yea i'm gonna adjust my tow in tomorrow... and redo my shackles to stock length... i'm gonna do like 2 mm toe in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom