Navi is Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my navigation went out a month or so ago, but since I don't really use it I wasn't in too much of a hurry to figure out what was wrong. It basically says it can't read the disc. Well, I pulled the disc and it's clean so I decided to pull the computer out and have a look at the DVD laser. Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence.

I read on a Lexus forum from a guy who took it apart and manually reset the laser and his started working again. I did all of this, but it's still not working. What's interesting is I left the computer out of the truck and the front driver side speakers stopped working. I guess the navi runs through those speakers, so if it's not connected they don't work.

Again I don't really use it, but I do intend to sell the thing someday, maybe sooner than later, so I want it up and running. A quick google check tells me these things cost close to $5K new :flipoff2:, but around $500 used on ebay.

Has anyone had to replace their navi and if so what route did you take. I also wonder if it's repairable.

Here's my saga on the topic:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/404462-dreaded-mfd-issues-reputable-shop-diagnose.html (last post #14 in particular)
I had to replace my Nav ECU, ended up buying one for ~500 (iirc) from a guy named E. Gus Mancy. I noticed same thing as you that the driver's side speaker and the bluetooth didn't work with the nav disconnected. See post #14 in thread above, I had the nav completely disconnected for a week or so and in the post I said that my lower drivers speaker didn't work, bluetooth didn't work, and the map/dest/disp buttons didn't work, but radio and a/c etc did work fine.

Also see here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/410207-nav-took-dump.html

For the Nav ECU, I would suggest getting a used replacement - just make sure the part number is correct but realize there is some flexibility in part numbers b/c and that multiple Lexus/Toyota models share the same Nav ECU part number. In fact, the original replacement part for me was 86841-50090 but the part I replaced with is 86841-0E010 and it worked fine. Buy from someone reputable that offers warranty on the used part and return in case for some reason it doesn't work. If you can get one from E. Gus Mancy I had a great experience and would recommend him.

For clarity note that some people use navigation, nav display and mfd interchangeably. For clarity, the Nav I think we're both talking about is found under the front passenger side seat and holds the nav dvd. MFD (Multi Function Display) is the technical term for the screen etc but a lot of the MFD discussions bleed into the nav ecu topic as well since they're so interconnected in our vehicles.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The MFD is working fine, thankfully so it's only the ECU. I took that thing apart twice and it's still a no go. How did you find the guy your bought the used unit from? Ebay?

I PMd you his email address (although it's posted here and elsewhere as well). Also, I just looked up my email from him back in August last year - total was ~500 and he offered a 30 day full refund and 2 year replacement warranty. He also supplied the 2005 nav disk. I'm sure price varies but for both MFD and Nav his price and warranty etc could not be beat from the research I did.

I think I came across him when I thought I needed an MFD replacement. I submitted a part request through one of the nationwide part finder sites where they blast your request to (used) parts suppliers and junkyards etc. He was one of the guys that contacted me and said he specialized in supplying Lexus (and Toyota?) parts and had an MFD replacement for me with 1 yr warranty for like $900. I was a bit nervous not knowing him from adam and not being local so I searched around and found only positive reports. Also, he spent time talking to me about the part, etc. It turned out I didn't need the MFD in the end, but when I knew for sure I needed the Nav ECU, I gave him a shot and he came through.

Do a google search for toyota navigation repair. Several places like audio video service center will repair the unit for $375 plus shipping. Or at least thats what I was quoted. Comes with a warranty, you just have to ship it to them. I looked for the laser/drive unit and only found one place that sold them, they charge 375 for the laser/drive uninstalled. Made more sense just to send it off and have it repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom