Nav upgrade worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search but didn't find the answer I was looking for...so.....

I just bought 03 for my wife. Is there a newer upgrade to the navigation software? Has anyone tried the newer software and is it worth the money to upgrade? Thanks in advance.

I also bought my wife an 03 (LX). the factory navigation is a complete joke. Any cheapy garmin unit or the equivalent is leaps and bounds ahead. I wouldn't bother.

We've been disappointed with the navigation system in our new-to-us '03 Land Cruiser. It still has the '02 data, and while tens of thousands of miles of roads and millions of points of interest have been updated since then, unless there have also been fundamental changes in the way the user interface functions, we will likely forego an update DVD. My iPhone with the standard Map app from Apple is far quicker and easier to use.

Having said that, Longo Toyota quoted me $250 and free ground shipping for the updated DVD. You may want to check with CrusierDan also.

I would say that if you are going to use the Toyota navigation, it is worth upgrading every few years. There has been a lot of data added since '03, as I learned when I updated my '04 with an '08 disk. The price you found is about the lowest for the disk from a dealer. However, I agree with the post that the user interface is clunky by comparison to aftermarket and the new DVD does not upgrade that. My Garmin 750 is MUCH easier to use and doesn't lock out the most useful features when driving, as does the factory system.

I would say that if you are going to use the Toyota navigation, it is worth upgrading every few years. There has been a lot of data added since '03, as I learned when I updated my '04 with an '08 disk. The price you found is about the lowest for the disk from a dealer. However, I agree with the post that the user interface is clunky by comparison to aftermarket and the new DVD does not upgrade that. My Garmin 750 is MUCH easier to use and doesn't lock out the most useful features when driving, as does the factory system.

If you check in the FAQ, there is a method that you can do to override the lockout. I dont recommend it and its not safe. yada yada.
having said this, i use this method whenever i need to "have the passenger" input data while im driving. the procedure, for my model, needed to be repeated every cycle of the ignition if you want to be able to input data while on the move.

Zee

I have the factory Nav in my 2003 LC and find it very useful most of the time. I did upgrade the Disc to the 2008 version and there were lots of new road updates although the interface stayed the same.

My wife's Garmin Nuvi 360 is easier to use and has a much better POI database but it is also not built in and has to be removed all the time to prevent theft. I use the OEM Nav for 95% of my travel and find it quite accurate. For the other 5% (when it can't find a location) I use my Iphone.

I would note that the Toyota navigation will work everywhere and the iPhone only works where there is cell phone service. I take my LC lots of places where my iPhone has no signal. Also, I have found the factory nav database ('08 version) has many more remote back roads than my Garmin nav database ('08 version).

i live east of seattle and new roads are added like mad so the new disk was worth the $$$ to me but the garman i got at costco for a hundred bucks is 10 times nicer then my stock nav with the new disk ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom