NAV System Software Update?...failure info? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a early 2004 LC w/Nav system. I have not used the GPS portion much and would like to begin using a bit more.

Question #1...I am guessing that I should get some type of software "update" to bring the Nav info current? Wher/how and how much?

Question #2...I read of the Nav failure issue on the 2004s...any impact that mine is a late calendar 2003 delivery of an early 2004 model?

Question #3...What haapens with failure?...can you use radio and heat and AC if you have Nav failure? What estimate of failure %?...I have no issues to date.

Thanks for the help...TomR

i have heard that it is a known issue with an actual virus which gets in by way of cellphone usage (bluetooth) it can be costly b/c the dealership just switchs units and does not bother fixing them if it does fail you will get a note on the screen disc error load disc even though actualy disc is in unit.

Do they really change the harware unit itself when there is a virus in the nav software? That does not sound very bright.

The nav (map) info is on a DVD in the player under the passenger front seat. It takes a number of years for new map info to be programmed onto the disc, so I don't think it's worth upgrading every year...maybe every 5 yrs or so.

The bluetooth virus should be from '06+ (isn't that when the navi came w/ bluetooth?). I guess one advantage of the '03 navi is it's gen-3, which was used the longest on lexus vehicles ('00-03?) and the final year of that generation (bugs worked out). The first year of a new generation of nav is when you have the greatest chance of problems, just like the first model year of a new vehicle.

i would imagine the virus stuff to be urban legend as your nav has no operating system to effect.

unless you are interested in road maps in an area that has undergone massive recent development. and unless you are sure that the newer maps would reflect that, it seems hardly worthwhile to upgrade the disc, I would think

i would imagine the virus stuff to be urban legend as your nav has no operating system to effect.

It must have firmware of some kind. But to change the unit itself because there is a virus on the software sounds as unreasonable as it can be.

Just spoke with local Toyota dealer...current software update is version 6.1 which he said is Jan 2007 update version. They are selling for $239.95.

Any reasons NOT to update?...other than the $250? My current software is version 3.01...which goes back at least to 2003. I have never updated and seems like the 01/07 version may be a good time to update for about four years worth of data.

Again...any downsides to update?

Also, FYI...this dealer says that they get refurbished Nav units on an exchage program...he said they NEVER order the new Toyota part as a replacement. I did not press him since mine is working fine...but he said he thought the exchange was "well under $5,000" that has been mentioned here as the repair/replace price. FWIW...TomR

The only real value with the update is it has new streets and updated Points of Interest.

Other than the $250 I am not aware of any downsides. If you want to put the old DVD back in after upgrading, you can do so (contrary to instructions) and it will run 3.01.

I would think that anybody who is upgrading should be able to sell the old version here easily if the price is compelling enough.

(Q: does the disk handle only the data (streets etc) or also the software (features etc) ? )

just upgraded my gen 3 from 02.1 to the new 06.1. (86271-33035) got dvd new sealed off of ebay for a bin of $199 + $7 shipping. Toyota direct wanted $250. i saw a big difference in streets around my house. have not yet taken in on the road, but so far i am happy with the changes i have seen in my 5 minutes of playing with it.

Virus = myth

From what little I know, I believe these are the Pros & Cons

Pros

1 - Updated POI's

2 - Updated Street Maps

Cons

1 - Rumor has it that the override software hack may not work on latest versions due to a firmware update that gets loaded with the software disc. However, there is a workaround for that.

2 - Cost money

Rich

laugh all you guys want witht eh myth stuff this was a known issue in the trade computer mags which was sparking interest is b/c how does the virus get actually into the car system and the only probale way was with the cell phone usage there is a member here that had this i think he is greynolds or something like that i believ his was an 04 lc and for all you guys that say it is not feasible to swithc units how many service guys do you think can reset a hard drive? some can not even change oil correctly from previous posts

laugh all you guys want witht eh myth stuff this was a known issue in the trade computer mags which was sparking interest is b/c how does the virus get actually into the car system and the only probale way was with the cell phone usage there is a member here that had this i think he is greynolds or something like that i believ his was an 04 lc and for all you guys that say it is not feasible to swithc units how many service guys do you think can reset a hard drive? some can not even change oil correctly from previous posts

Definitely not me nor do I believe a virus is even remotely likely to be a potential problem with this sort of system. The NAV system certainly has to have an operating system of sorts, but it's a closed system and wouldn't be of much interest for the sorts of people who write viruses. Also, if something did somehow get into the Nav system, fixing it should be a simple matter of disconnecting the battery - the DVD-ROM used for the Nav data is not a writable drive. Those idiots are a lot more interested in the potential to annoy hundreds of millions of people than the relatively small number who have nav systems - that's 1 of the reasons why Windows tends to be the target for most of them.

04 was the first year with nav./bluetooth My dad just upddated the nav in his LS and said it had more accurate features, but major highway and road construction completed more than a year ago was still not correct. Driving over rivers,etc. He mentioned he also lost some of the capabilities, like the FM3, now just FM1 and 2. So I wonder if it is worth it. My brother has an 02 LS not upgraded, I can't really tell the difference. Same system.

the nav system does have a operating syst but the problem is with bluetooth execution example tell it to call home or if your phone is ringing the nav will answer it hands free etc. these things will stop working with the virus present but the whole units then stops working now all the vehicle stuff works like heat a/c etc its the nav / phone stuff that gets wacked. plus another thing these are actually little computers so if your car is an 03 the unit was probably made in 02 or close to that; how many people still use there computers that old. a systme is usually only good for 5 years tops then new stuff that is faster comes along

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom