Nav Issue - External device error (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 with factory navigation. I have owned it for 6 months now and have not been able to successfully use the navigation. it will not let me access any of the buttons that are brought on display as if it were locked. I can just go to a point manually and get directions from there, but cannot input an address or access point of interest. It sometime will come on sporadically but go off almost immediately. I tried doing the drive override and updating my disk to ver 10.1 but nothing has brought success. I want to pitch it and just get a new head unit, but the climate control is still an issue. Let me know if you have any ideas, I have already spent the better part of the after noon searching for possible issues but nothing came up that mirrored my problems. When I do the hidden menu it allows me to see error codes saying external device error, so I need thoughts on what that might be.

mylesprimo said:
I have a 2002 with factory navigation. I have owned it for 6 months now and have not been able to successfully use the navigation. it will not let me access any of the buttons that are brought on display as if it were locked. I can just go to a point manually and get directions from there, but cannot input an address or access point of interest. It sometime will come on sporadically but go off almost immediately. I tried doing the drive override and updating my disk to ver 10.1 but nothing has brought success. I want to pitch it and just get a new head unit, but the climate control is still an issue. Let me know if you have any ideas, I have already spent the better part of the after noon searching for possible issues but nothing came up that mirrored my problems. When I do the hidden menu it allows me to see error codes saying external device error, so I need thoughts on what that might be.

what hidden menu are you referring to (service check mode)? did you check errors on the avc lan monitor?

do you have the fsm? there are doagnostic steps that might help you isolate the issue methodically.

you may be able to get it diagnosed for free at a dealership then do the fix on your own for cheaper.

i wish there were a plugnplay aftermarket option that could work with climate control etc. butthere are none to my knowledge.

wont let you access buttons? try verifying the signal inputs. you can verify that its picking up your button inputs where you're pressing. perhaps its just out of synch? or perhaps the screen is not functioning fully?
cant picture what you're describing - perhaps video (of not accepting input) or screenshots (of external device error screen) would help.

the menu i am referring to is the one you access to do the manual override to use the navigation while. I might try going to a dealership, but I am afraid they will tell me it is an issue with the actual unit he nav disk is in. What I want to find is an aftermarket head unit that will support nav and climate control.

mylesprimo said:
the menu i am referring to is the one you access to do the manual override to use the navigation while. I might try going to a dealership, but I am afraid they will tell me it is an issue with the actual unit he nav disk is in. What I want to find is an aftermarket head unit that will support nav and climate control.

no aftermarket i know of will suppprt nav and climate. woul love if there were one though.

there's a different hidden menu called service check mode that has more diagnostic capabilities - ill point you to it when im back at my computer.

Here's a link where I posted screen shots of the menus I'm talking about: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...sues-reputable-shop-diagnose.html#post5765482

From the FSM:
a. There are 2 methods to start diagnostic mode. Start the mode by using one of them.
b. Method 1
1. Start the engine.
2. While pressing and holding "INFO" switch, operate "TAIL" switch, OFF --> TAIL --> OFF -
-> TAIL --> OFF --> TAIL --> OFF.
3. The diagnostic mode starts and "Service Check" screen will be displayed. Service inspection
starts automatically and the result will be displayed.
c. Method 2
1. Start the engine.
2. Switch to the "Display Check" screen.
3. From the display adjustment screen, touch the corners of the screen in the following order:
upper left --> lower left -->upper left --> lower left --> upper left --> lower left.
4. The diagnostic mode starts and "Service Check" screen will be displayed. Service inspection
starts automatically and the result will be displayed.

There are 2 methods to exit. Use one of them.
1. Turn the ignition switch off.
2. Press the "Display" switch for 3 seconds.

----
once in there, you'll see "service check", "display check", "navigation check", "camera check", "BT Voice Quality Set".

off the cuff, I'd suggest you look at display check and service check. From display check I think you can confirm there that the button presses are being recognized and even recalibrate the touch display. from service check, you'll see each unit (EMV, NAVI, CAMERA, etc) with either OK, CHEK, EXCH, NCON, NRES. iirc you can press the CHEK square or NCON or whichever square and it will then display more detail on that unit. You can also press the LAN Mon button at the bottom of service check/system check mode and get more detail. FSM will be handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom