National Luna vs DOMETIC freezer and fridge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

Does any one has suggestions on which one of the above have the best performance and reliability? I am skeptical on which one to buy since it's a huge investment.

Thank you for your comments

Neto

I agree. Securely mounted to avoid physical damage on rough trails. Also, adequately wired to avoid power brownouts which can strain & lead to damaged fridge components, not to mention fire hazards from hot smoking wires or poor connections. Lastly, good battery management which should include solar power assist for those longer camps during warmer weather.

Thank you all for your comments now I made my decision
If you made a decision, I went with NL 50 Weekender. Fridge & freezer. It’s been great.
Their line up has advanced, some wicked upgrades if you can bear the mark-up price

I have been extremely pleased with my Dometic fridge thus far.

Picture for reference.

B9830886-0E19-4E26-8E57-35C350813C94.jpeg

I heard that Dometic could make ice in their freezer don't know much about NL.
@Forerunner what is the shade on the rear hatch, any pics? Looks interesting.

I heard that Dometic could make ice in their freezer don't know much about NL.
@Forerunner what is the shade on the rear hatch, any pics? Looks interesting.

Solarscreen- AU

I stumbled across these from one of the Aussie wagon guys. I ordered the full set for my 60. Two or three trips in and absolutely love them. They really help keep the cabin cooler so the AC isn’t cranked to 11 the whole time.

I would not buy Dometic, because they don't stand behind their products. There is a recall on all CFX3 fridges except the 110. The AC and DC sides of the power supply are not properly isolated and can fail and damage your vehicle systems or start a fire. When connected to AC, the unit sends a small, ~7 volt current back through the DC cord. This will create headaches if connected into your OEM 12V power circuit. If a diode fails in the device, it can send a 26 volt surge through the DC power cord. If the DC cord is plugged into your RV, boat or vehicle, it will do things like fry ECU's, catch certain types of equipment on fire, or just smoke some circuit boards. If the cord is just lying unplugged, any contact with metal will spark and possibly start a fire. It is common to have both AC and DC cords plugged in simultaneously when set-up for using both shore power DC batteries or while using an inverter while on the go, then automatically switching over to DC battery when the alternator is no longer driving the inverter. Both plugs are low in the center of the unit in the back, so they are not easily accessible in most installations.

What was Dometic's solution? They first had a big summer sale to get rid of inventory and are now sending all registered purchasers (read Suckers) a small bag of stickers to paste onto your new faulty fridge. These stickers warn you not to plug in the DC cord when the AC cord is also plugged in. In other words, don't use the automatic AC to DC switch feature. They also updated the online user Manual (version dated June 2020) so it includes this warning, whereas prior versions implied that this configuration was acceptable because it described that capability of the power supply to switch from AC to DC automatically (AC is primary when available) when AC power is lost.

It is worth noting that the older CFX units work correctly and do not have this problem. The only alternative Dometic offers is to send the unit back for a refund or upgrade to the massive 110 unit. They will not be accepting units back for repair or replacement for this defect. They also don't mention if they will refund the cost of all the related accessories that are useless without the fridge (covers, cords, slides, etc.). For the cost of a relay or a few diodes, they are putting at risk an entire product line, not to mention their reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom