Nastiest Fuel sock award? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While getting deep into my 91 FJ80 3F-E issues that started upon the purchase of a barely running Cruiser I started with a tossed pushrod and got that squared away only to find that I still had a dead miss in #2 and #4…after all the diag and tests it was clear I had fuel system issues so I dove into the injectors…yep plugged up solid…obviously I have bad fuel so I am now overhauling the fuel system front to back…The fuel sock has to be the worst I’ve seen!! 😂 tank is nasty too!!

A41211C5-B5FA-4D8F-8844-4DF72014793F.jpeg

C5E54B11-9E28-4570-BCE8-85863032482D.jpeg

8442D4F1-3E7E-4275-9FDD-E3DB220561DD.jpeg

C29F0BE3-CAF0-408C-9142-C29315F88C45.jpeg

D10C5FC5-FFB8-4BDC-90AD-06EFD6BD505A.jpeg

Don't drink that!

Anybody know if I can reverse the polarity on this pump with jumper leads to back flush it?
Why?

Buy new.

Get a used tank that's clean.

Do NOT even consider coating the inside of that tank, as it NEVER works long term and it's way cheaper to buy a NEW tank than to have it coated.

Same tank 91 thru 97.

What were they running in that thing? Lighter fluid?

Why?

Buy new.

Get a used tank that's clean.

Do NOT even consider coating the inside of that tank, as it NEVER works long term and it's way cheaper to buy a NEW tank than to have it coated.

Same tank 91 thru 97.
Well because a new Toyota Pump is $300, and if this one checks out I'd rather not replace it. If I need to change it after I get it all buttoned up it's not a huge task to replace the pump. I admit it's ugly but all that stuff turned to powder and brushed right off and came clean with a shot of Brake Clean. As far as the tank, I was able to get it very clean and I see no reason to replace it with one that is likely no better than what I have. Plus I can't seem to source a replacement tank reasonably local to me in central Florida and I would bet shipping would be pretty pricey. Toyota still lists a new tank at around $700 and If I feel that this tank won't work I have no issues purchasing new. That goes for the pump as well...But I want to see if I can work with what I have first. I'll post some photos of the inside of the tank and pump assembly post cleaning.

Well because a new Toyota Pump is $300, and if this one checks out I'd rather not replace it. If I need to change it after I get it all buttoned up it's not a huge task to replace the pump. I admit it's ugly but all that stuff turned to powder and brushed right off and came clean with a shot of Brake Clean. As far as the tank, I was able to get it very clean and I see no reason to replace it with one that is likely no better than what I have. Plus I can't seem to source a replacement tank reasonably local to me in central Florida and I would bet shipping would be pretty pricey. Toyota still lists a new tank at around $700 and If I feel that this tank won't work I have no issues purchasing new. That goes for the pump as well...But I want to see if I can work with what I have first. I'll post some photos of the inside of the tank and pump assembly post cleaning.
That pump is “checked out”. Go ahead and order one.

Here is the pump assembly less the sock and cushion, and the same view of the tank through the opening. When I first took it out while everything was still wet I hosed it down with a can of Throtlebody/carb cleaner. Then I took a flexible 3ft fiberglass wire chase rod and zip tied a rag to the hook on the end. Then I soaked the rag in carb cleaner and put the other end in a cordless drill. I was able to get it into the far reaches of the tank through the baffle holes and spin it letting the wet rag spin and flap around with the drill working it back and forth from different angles from all the different access points. After that I sprayed it out again with carb cleaner and let it all settle to the corner I could reach by hand and wipe it out. After it dried I dumped a half bottle of Dawn, and a half bottle of 409 in it and put 3 gallons of piping hot water in it along with a handfull of 3/8 nuts. I sloshed this around in there off and on for about an hour and let it soak. Finally I rinsed it all out with the hose on jet stream setting and let it dry. Is it perfect? Prolly not and I still will do some more cleaning with the rod and maybe a scotchbrite to knock the dust off and then vacuum/blow it out with compressed air. At thus point I think I’ve done all I or anybody else could do. Again I have no problems buying new and always go OEM when possible…

D9F0224F-0202-41E2-94D2-F40712808D1D.jpeg

951F5A94-D9C0-4C5E-A9DF-3EE72C0D7A48.jpeg

All this being said if anybody has a clean recycled Fuel tank they are willing to sell and ship to Tampa area that is cost effective vs the new OEM replacement tank from Toyota I'm all ears....

Denso Fuel Pump at RockAuto:

9500109 Includes Strainer = $98.79.

I have a fuel pump that came out of my 205k 1997 LC. It was working fine when I started my restoration - I'm just replacing everything with new, but am keeping parts like that in case Mudders need them. PM me if you want to make an offer on the pump. I only kept the pump because the bracket was rusty and the other bits are readily available and inexpensive from Toyota. Happy to pass my 205k pump onto someone who could use it. The inside of my tank and the fuel sock were in perfect condition.

I have a fuel pump that came out of my 205k 1997 LC. It was working fine when I started my restoration - I'm just replacing everything with new, but am keeping parts like that in case Mudders need them. PM me if you want to make an offer on the pump. I only kept the pump because the bracket was rusty and the other bits are readily available and inexpensive from Toyota. Happy to pass my 205k pump onto someone who could use it. The inside of my tank and the fuel sock were in perfect condition.
I appreciate the offer, and very generous of you but as @BILT4ME says the Denso from Rock Auto is sub $100 so done deal I already ordered it. It actually was like $83 so really not worth the time to put the old one back in there and wonder about it's long term functionality, That's less than 1 hour labor at most shops so why mess with it. I will Keep my old one as a possible spare like you did.

Hi, I’ve never seen one that bad on any auto. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom