NASCAR and Toyota rumors......

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by concretejungle, Jul 21, 2005.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I was at the race shop today talking to the crew chiefs for the Toyota Tundra Craftsman Truck teams. Rumor has it that Toyota will have a car racing in the busch series next season. And, rumor has it that Bill Davis Racing will get the first car and Michael Waltrip will drive it. Just for your info......

2. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Right ON! I love Toyota and I love NASCAR....

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    As big as Darrell is with Toyota in the Truck series and Michael's recent jump announcement from DEI, I'm not surprised...

outta make for an interesting season to see Toyota mixin it up with the "good ol boys"

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Ok, for those of us who are non-NASCAR fans, what exactly is the Busch series. I thought Toyota was already racing in something, was that the truck series? Is the Busch series more of the 'real' NASCAR? More chicks, boobs, beer and confederate flags? :D

Just curious, never watched one full race, so I know jack squat about NASCAR.

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    There is the Craftsmen Truck series of NASCAR....truck based bodies, obviously...

there is the Busch series of NASCAR....kinda like entry level to the big time...

then there is Nextel Cup series of NASCAR....the big boys....

each is kinda considered a stepping stone to the next...NASCAR.com might have a little info too :D

IIRC, it's North American Stock Car Auto Racing....but don't quote me on that

6. concretejungle

The only thing a little fishy about this assumption is that Michael has his own bush team, so why would he drive for another?

Mark, busch is kinda like the minor leagues of NASCAR, kinda. Most cup drivers will race in the bush series also, so it's not like the drivers are not as good as cup. The truck series is just another minor league series, but a lot of cup drivers or former cup drivers race in the truck series. The biggest diffrence between cup and bush is 1) # of laps per race 2) horsepower, cup cars have about 100 more ponies 3) wheelbase, cup cars are about 3-4 inches longer in wheel base.

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

That's cool, but to clarify I still get to see the same half nekid redneck chicks yelling their favorite driver's name with any series right? Just want to make sure I'm not cut'n myself short with car number tatoos and chest/back-hair trimmed into numbers...(trying to keep a straight face) :D

I'm sure if I watched a few races I'd get more into it...thanks...

8. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers 1978 FJ40 ~ 283 V8

ALOT of my friends are into NASCAR but I am definately a newbie. I was glad to see Toyota in the truck races so I finally had a team to pull for. WHEN they go into Nextel cup I can't help but think they will go big with multiple cars and teams (like they did in the truck series).

I expect the good old boys will find it necessary to stay on their toes, Toyota isn't about to sponsor a losing nextel team when they've been so sucessful in Indy and the truck series.

BRING IT!

9. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing...

:beer:

10. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

The interesting thing is when Toyota jumped into NASCAR in the truck series they had to go backwards in technology. They wanted to enter earlier but couldnt because their only V8 was a DOHC and the NASCAR engines are pushrod old school stuff. So Toyota had to start with a new engine program.

I would love to see them in Winston Cup (Nextel)

11. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I think Toyota's plan has been in the works for some time.

Maybe Mikie W. has a contract with Chevy?

Sounds like there is going to be a lot of changes, and I can't wait. I follow the whole sport and the drivers on and off the track when I can. No favorites, just good guys and some bad ones.

Believe it or not, NASCAR is not about rednecks anymore. But it is understandable that some still think that way, a lot of people here in the heart of NASCAR country still think that way.

12. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I have been waiting to see if Rusty/Penske field a Toyota if they jump into Nextel Cup. Toyota engines power Penske Indy cars and Rusty Wallace owns a Toyota dealership in TN that he brags about. And Rusty has a Busch team...

My favorite racer owning a team powered by my favorite motor corp!

13. mabrodis

mabrodis

I had heard about this also (Toyota having to build a new V8 just for racing)...is the Winston Cup different? Are the engine choices more vague, so Toyota could run one of their more high-tech V8's? I thought all Nascar stuff used old-school engines. They get alot of power out of them, which is cool, but old-school design (although I think they all use the highest tech roller cams and such don't they, so it's not like it's really a 1960's engine, but a 1960's style engine).

Anyhoo...go Toyota! :D

14. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Nope, the Cup car V8s are pushrod too...

Somewhere I had an article about Toyota's engines for NASCAR. Interesting stuff because they made them simple so there will come a day when guys in lower leagues and small garages can get them from TRD for dirt track cars and such without having an outrageous price. That way TRD can do a grassroots thing to win over NASCAR public.

15. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

Watch out guys, your mullets are showing :D

16. concretejungle

You are right on with that. I saw a stat just today showing that the median income of nascar fans is $70,000/year. THat's higher than any other sport.

Just imagine throwing one of those racing toyota V8's into your cruiser :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.