narrowing the ford 9" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, this axle has got me all interested, but i can't find a single article on the net abot the process of narrowing one of these axles.

if any of you know where to find some info i would appreciate it.
i've already found tons of upgrade and tech articles on this axle, as well as specs and data sheet.

i'm just looking for what goes into narrowing.

Drag racers use the 9" religiously. Try that venue. If you go 9" with stock t-case you can shorten the righthand side only and just buy one axle shaft.

If memory serves me right, I think Currie makes a narrow 9-incher for heeps. I don't know if they make the whole axle or just narrow a donor 9-incher.

Scott

Narrowing a 9" effectively will require a jig, basically pucks that fit in where the bearing is that has holes to slide a very straight bar through them, and then another set of pucks that will bolt the flanges to and slide over the same bar. This is to keep the axle straight. Ford 9" housings are fabbed steel and would take well to a sleaving type narrow job.

There are places you can get a housing made to size. Might be a good option as you can get it braced and stronger. If using stock I would try to look for a truck housing they have more material around the differential for strength.

Go to a bunch of local HotRodders, If you don't think you know any, go to the nearest small town. The 9" Ford is the most desirable rearend for ALL the rodders, even the ones running GM powerplants. They narrow them all the time for model A's.
I've seen it done and it is not that big a deal. Most have the axles professionally done by a driveline shop, there again, not that expensive. The housings are no more difficult to do that a cut-and-turn.
Ed Long :)

older broncos would probably be the right width any ways

curry narrowed my 9"they do and have anything for 9" and dana axles

can you give me an estimate one the cost of this (narrowing housing and shafts)?

older broncos would probably be the right width any ways
i looked at my friend 77, but the center section was on the wrong side (towards driver side)

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=4975;start=msg40495#msg40495 date=1063340495]
i looked at my friend 77, but the center section was on the wrong side (towards driver side)[/quote]With a few mods the housing can be flipped to put the pumpkin on the right.

does this lower the pinion or anything like that?

The Ford 9" already has the lowest pinion of all. Currie has a hybrid with some 8.8 high pinion stuff but as they (Currie) say "medium to light" vehicles. I don't consider the TLC a light vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom