Narrowing an FZJ80 full floater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search and did not find any info. Has anyone narrowed an 80 axle? I would love to have all the benefits of the 80 axle and the stock width of the 55.
Thanks, Jeff

What benefits do an 80 series axle have over the 55 series width?

Get some longs for the front axle and some chromo shafts for a rear 40 FF.

Not worth the effort IMO, when you can order a non US FF from SOR in FJ40/ 55 width. Did you want the disk brake & cable locker option? Even better, cut down a D60 SF 35 spline 6 lugger & order a Moser short side shaft. Wayyy better!

I like the big discs with the e-brake, the full floating, and the e-locker. The D60 is overkill for me. I am only going to run 33's and want to keep my 55 narrow. I would also like to keep it mostly Toy. I have a non US full floater with caddy calipers. It was a pita and doesn't work well.

So you removed the E brake from the tcase?

You can get a FJ40 FF with integrated e brake.

Antything is possible but with the amount of fab work you are considering it would be easier to just do a 40 FF axle

8" seems like a lot.... a stock 55 axle is 55" and an 80 axles is 63". But depending on what wheels you are using this difference become pretty small. The PO of my 55 had wheels with 2" backspacing, once I upgraded to 80 axles and 4.75" backspacing the difference is only 2.5" hardly worth going through the hassle to narrow them.

Be aware that the 80 front can be more work than it is worth.

Just my 2 cents.

Ryan.

Narrow the housing and run stock 40 FF shafts if you're intent on keeping the Cruiser rear disk/e brake setup.

Personally, if I was going to stick to 33s, I'd get a late 40 or 60 housing and run the factory drums. There's nothing wrong with the setup. I have a chevy setup on my FF (which I really like!), but it was already on the truck when it had the SF axle.

ridgerunner said:
Narrow the housing and run stock 40 FF shafts if you're intent on keeping the Cruiser rear disk/e brake setup.

I like this idea!

Mace-It will have an 80 t-case

I will not be using an 80 front axle. So far a stock 55 disc front.

I thought about putting the 55 on the 80 frame but it would just be too wide for me.

So I guess my question is has anyone done this. The tube looks to be the same diam. for at least 8" in from the spindle. Does anyone here know if the spindles on the rear are welded on like the knuckles of a front axle?
Thanks

ridgerunner said:
Personally, if I was going to stick to 33s, I'd get a late 40 or 60 housing and run the factory drums.

Stock late model FF's have the same integrated pbrake as the SF's do.

SO, instead of going to all the trouble of narrowing a 80 series rear, get a stock 40 series FF rear with the right brakes..

Where is everybodies hardcore spirit. Just go with stock?

I will be running 16s. 255/85-16s.

Post 1992 70 series trucks have a disk brake FF rear option. Similar parking brake system as an 80, same width as a 40 series but a full floater. As rare as hens teeth in the US though.

The interesting part is all the brake backing plate, hubs, rotors will swap directly with an 80 series rear axle but the hub WMS are about 1.5" further inboard than the 80, so you narrow an 80 axle width (WMS to WMS) by about 3".

Dave

For sure the same width?

Always thought the 70 stuff was a bit wider|?

beanz2 said:
Post 1992 70 series trucks have a disk brake FF rear option. Similar parking brake system as an 80, same width as a 40 series but a full floater. As rare as hens teeth in the US though.

The interesting part is all the brake backing plate, hubs, rotors will swap directly with an 80 series rear axle but the hub WMS are about 1.5" further inboard than the 80, so you narrow an 80 axle width (WMS to WMS) by about 3".

Dave

aint that pre 1992 70 series?

Yep. WMS to WMS is roughly the same. Spring perch to perch is wider.

Post 1992, until 1999. No factory disks in 70 series FF before May 1993. Five lugs came in 2000.

Dave

Stock late model FF's have the same integrated pbrake as the SF's do.

SO, instead of going to all the trouble of narrowing a 80 series rear, get a stock 40 series FF rear with the right brakes..

Exactly. No need for adjustment and they're simple. IIRC, the shoes are the same as the SF stuff too?

Radd Cruisers said:
For sure the same width?

Always thought the 70 stuff was a bit wider|?

The 70 axle should be a whole 10mm wider than a 40/45/55.

I like the big discs with the e-brake, the full floating, and the e-locker. The D60 is overkill for me. I am only going to run 33's and want to keep my 55 narrow. I would also like to keep it mostly Toy. I have a non US full floater with caddy calipers. It was a pita and doesn't work well.

Toyota disc and rotors are an easy swap onto a Toyota FF rear axle. They work great.

Personally, unless you are wanting to run 5.29s, I don't see much reason to go with a FF.

Mark...

Mark W said:
Toyota disc and rotors are an easy swap onto a Toyota FF rear axle. They work great.

I thought there was a thread somewhere that talked about running 80 hubs (which would be necessary to run the 80 rotors/drums with integral parking brake) and how the hubs and mounting flanges were different from the earlier designs.

Or is this a strictly disk brake swap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom