Napoleon-longest build ever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Son of a bitch, 3 service techs deep before someone at trail gear could tell me the kit I ordered is not for my housing which isn't stated on there website. Looks like I'll strip the 85 front end and upgrade the caliper and rotor from a later model . Gotta take it out of the shop tonight for the tent meeting. When that's done I'll make it a non roller until I can bolt in the front.

Ya I wondered. I figured those brakes were for their high 9 housings

9/60 hybrid, it was way more obvious when I opened the box

Just about have one said of the frame cleaned up. Now I gotta clean up for the tenting chicken wing crew

So like I said “longest build ever”. Pulled this thing back in today. I literally have no other projects for the winter. Just minor afternoon type stuff. I have cleaned up the farm most of the summer and especially this last weekend in hopes to have my focus focussed. So here we go.

Back inside hopefully until it’s done.

B5744A6C-9670-4CB6-A15C-CF037E741CCF.jpeg

You should link it. Takes like 45 minutes

7046123A-51B0-4EB1-A425-218A4B7B08A8.jpeg
EB241FFF-69BF-4C7D-90A3-8CCB31D0F958.jpeg
Right.

Yesterday I finished the big three upgrade and then I think my starter failed. Will pull it out for a bench test. Want to tune it the best I can before I convert to propane. Hopefully this weekend . A few samples of factory wiring and some butchery by someone. Big difference in dash lights brightness and headlights

Asking to see if you guys have any ideas. I have been starting this thing with a drop of gas in the carb and away it goes. Would start again no problem. 22R are infamous for dry float bowl. ANYWAYS... go to bring it in the other day and click...click. I try to boost it , same. Also when I turn the key I get a click and then no power for about five minutes, like nothing and the full power returns try again ...click.

So far

fuses-good
new starter- same
all new heavier cables-same
cleaned all grounds -same
bypassed the Toyota relay with another relay and bigger cable- same
different battery-same
bump start-no go

Old starter bench tested fine but corroded so no loss there
Both batteries load tested fine

My next guess is ignition tumbler, try to find another stater relay, coil, and igniter but just hoping you guys would have a more definitive choice. And yes I do suck at electrical, also welding, mechanics,parenting, the english language,patience,painting and etiquette.

With starter issues first thing I think of is contacts in the starter solenoid.. sounds like you've ruled that out. Second I'd think ignition switch like you are thinking now....

Another thought, do you have a good ground between the battery and engine? If that's missing, you might get enough current through another path to engage the solenoid, but not enough to turn the starter.

Engine isn't locked up I hope?

With starter issues first thing I think of is contacts in the starter solenoid.. sounds like you've ruled that out. Second I'd think ignition switch like you are thinking now....

Another thought, do you have a good ground between the battery and engine? If that's missing, you might get enough current through another path to engage the solenoid, but not enough to turn the starter.

Engine isn't locked up I hope?

Engine is free, I have a new ground from block to body and a new ground from battery to body. I know you can never have enough grounds but battery to motor I could try. I'm hoping i have a matching ignition in a parts vehicle that I will check this afternoon.

Starter contacts and missing ground strap are the limit of my personal experience. Hope the switch does the trick for you.

I don't know if you've seen this, but it helped me when a buddy's runner was having starter problems years ago... Toyota/Chrysler/Mitsubishi - Nippon Denso Starter Solenoid Repair

Disclaimer: If I'm not being helpful at all, I blame it on the fact that I'm pounding homebrew after getting home from a hitch of night shifts at the rig.

run a hot wire to the trigger side of the starter and see if she spins... that would elim the ignition switch

After a bunch of failed attempts I got desperate and tried some other things. Eventually running a 4 ga wire from battery negative to bell housing starter bolt. Boom started. Started eliminating things and discovered my sweet short black wire in post 30 had no continuity. ..a bad ground. What an idiot. It’s ok though. Starter was heavily corroded. Made all new wires and am now quite intimate with this rig. Next up the front axle and a de smog.

Started pulling the drive train out as well as desmogging( egr delete) . I actually chose to go another route and use everything out from underneath a chevy powered sas 4 runner I picked up a few years back. A lot easier . Pictures next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom