1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAPA sucks (long rant)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Trunk Monkey, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Day off today, on the way home from the park with the wife and kids. Pass by the main NAPA here in Salt Lake and remember that I was going to get a some those constant tension hose clamps and hose for the upcoming PHH job. Tell the wife I need to stop for a quick second.

Store #1: Guy (store manager) asks me what I need, I tell him, and he goes off to the racks. Few minutes pass. I walk over to where I can see through the racks and notice he's looking through oil filters. I wait another minute and mention that I didn't need an oil filter, that I was after hose clamps. He says he knows and was helping another person. Ok. Wait another minute. Now he's off to the side talking to another employee. I tell him that my wife and kids are baking in the car and to forget it. He says "huh, OK". And goes back to talking.

Store #2: Take the fam home and head to another store. They don't have them, but check their inventory and tell me another store on the west side of town has 7 of them and give me the address to the store.

Store #3: I head out there and find that this store has closed and has moved several miles away.

Store #4: Go to the moved store's new location and ask about the clamps. Guy looks them up - "Oh, we don't have any, with the move we sent a lot of things back to the main store" (Store #1).

So, when I do the PHH on the 80, I am using some left over flexi-hose I have from my sprinkler system and Zipties.

2. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

excellent, so you can have some more fun the following week as well...! :D

3. Biff

Biff

Keeping checking the stores, I called five stores until I found one that had them. Seems like those clamps are not big sellers so not that many people have them. I got an extra one just in case so if you need it, (I know you need two) but just in case you only find one let me know and I'll send it to you.

4. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Let me know if you need zip ties and flexi hose. I have lots of both.

Why not just buy the kit?

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Why not just use regular hose and stinking hose clamps? Toyota used crappy pinch clamps and they lasted 100,000 miles. You could have changed the hose in the time it took you to screw around looking for the super secret hose clamps.

6. Biff

Biff

Thats right forgot the PHH kit, just buy one of those better than running all over the place for the parts.

Here's his site

www.1fzfephh.com

7. trainrech

trainrech

The guys at NAPA here will call the other parts stores if I am in a pinch and need something they don't have immediately available.

Maybe the guy was helping someone who was on the phone...

8. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    go to a kenworth dealer. they will have the clamps and the silicone hose.

9. flintknapper

flintknapper

Same here....if they don't have the part in stock, and I can't wait....they will find someone who does... and send me there. Also, the counter help (at least here) know vehicles, and you don't get some pimple faced kid staring at you with a blank look on his face.

I like NAPA.

10. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

I agree. Guess it's just tunnel vision. Hey, the PHH is supposed to be frustrating. It's certainly started off that way. :rolleyes:

11. Gumby

NAPA is only as good as the people who hire the counter help. Here in Naperville, it's awful at the NAPA. They will take no less than an hour to get you the wrong part. Here the smart shops use the Carquest. The NAPA survives as the regional distribution center that supplies the city of Chicago.

In Ann Arbor, it was the opposite.

Heck, I hear there are a couple places in the US where even the Toyota dealerships have good parts people. ;)

12. hatfieldcb

hatfieldcb

I got silicon heater hose, the red inside and green outside, and regular lined clamps at NAPA here in town. That should do the trick. I'm "going in" this Saturday. :rolleyes:

13. calamaridog

calamaridog

I like NAPA because they are the only store in the area carrying SEAFOAM:D...

and I love my SEAFOAM!

14. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Yeah, me too. My local napa guys are pretty good parts guys. Being a parts guy myself, I can't stand the pimple faced kids that might only know a little bit about civics. Autozone, advance, vip, pep boys, all majorly suck in my area. They are little more than a place to pick up some wax and the occasional gallon of antifreeze.

15. mabrodis

mabrodis

I have never had a problem with the pimple faced kids working at a auto parts store, since usually they know they don't know what they are talking about so they actually listen to what I want and do their best. I get far more frustrated with the 40-50-somethings who are only working here because it was the only job the parole officer said they could get...more opinated than the kids yet often times know so little about what they are talking about it's more of a fight than what a pimple-kid would put up...I've pretty much reserved myself to if I can't find it myself I won't buy it there, I will look online to see if a certain store sells a certain item, and if a Toyota part, order it from CDan...

16. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    i'm somewhere in the middle between brodis and gumby on this one. There are some very good parts guys out there, and I assiduously seek them out because I find it so mentally tiring and frustrating to deal with bad staff, not to mention the time you waste. I go to one local parts location when there are two of its stores nearer because I can only handle the parts guys at the further location. whether it's napa or anyone else selling parts, there seem to be the following variety of "bad" counter guys

1. clock punchers who know very little, work by rote (pull stuff off shelfs without checking to see if it what is supposed to be there) and don't care if you get the right part. usually pimply faced kids but not always.

2. prickly guys with no patience or who think they know what you want better than you do and make it painful to ask questions or disagree with them. These guys are usually older and are the hardest to do business with. I'd rather have a pimply kid and lead him by the nose.

3. guys who wrongly tell you a part is not made or unavailable without looking hard because they are too lazy, or they want to sell you something else, or they just don't want to admit that other stores have something they don't. Usually older guys but not always. There is a young guy like this at my local toyota dealer. when i have to use them for emergencies i dread getting him because unless i have the p/n already I am not getting what i want.

4. A #2 or #3 with the added bullshitter factor. Will have a made up on the spot half assed explanation for why you can't have it ("Toyota discontinued all these landcruiser parts last year").

5. guys who multitask and can't keep track. These are the guys who throw half of what you asked for on the counter while talking to someone else on the phone so you can't figure out what it is and then walk away and disappear for 15 minutes doing something else. I really hate when this happens and the next parts guy over is available but does not want to jump in and piss his buddy off.

17. lingo

lingo

Ken what brand of parts are you in? I work on a retail/wholesale counter at a large Ford (job security) dealership. I have a good network of good parts people across Atlanta as a result. But they can be hard to find. Anyone in N. Atlanta that needs a Toyota guy PM me.

18. Gumby

Semilin-

You forgot the guy who assumes what you have when there is a mid-year change or a DOHC vs SOHC difference. Rather than just ask, they will happily send you the wrong part. Good parts guys are hard to find.

I was getting some bolt when one of those over-helpful hardware retirees was "helping" a lady. She said she was looking for a fastener. He kept arguing that wasn't what she wanted. She kept saying it was exactly what she wanted. They try that s*** with me every once in a while and get a verbal ass beating. I'll give you respect because of your age up to a certain point, then you're just another ass hat.

19. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    I think Semlin hit dead on why I hate most parts guys, alot of time I'll look at the screen along with the guy and give subtle hints as to what I'm looking for. Most don't seem to mind because they really don't know or care about what they're doing anyways.

20. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    There are professionals and losers in all fields. There are even a few professional losers.......

I kinda like all the goofy ones that are scattered out there 'cuz that makes the ones who know what they are doing look REALLY good.....:D