NAPA Needle Lube Attachment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen several threads on the importance of regular lube on Slee's front DS.

Seems to me I saw a post in the past with a special fitting to get one of the lube points. (and several post with incorrect needle fittings)

Seems to me a NAPA p/n has been posted in the past. I cannot pull it out of the archives, can somebody repost or point me to the correct front DS lube thread?

Would these needle fittings allow greasing the u-joints if a regular grease gun attachment won't fit? Because they installed one of my u-joints backward and I have to drop my shaft to rotate it enough to get the grease gun fitting on. It sucks....

Would these needle fittings allow greasing the u-joints if a regular grease gun attachment won't fit? Because they installed one of my u-joints backward and I have to drop my shaft to rotate it enough to get the grease gun fitting on. It sucks....

The grease fittings on my original U-joints and the NAPA I replaced them with were press-fit into the joints. I swapped them because the NAPA fitting was too short. You should be able to pull the fitting out and tap it back in with a better orientation. The grease fitting on the driveshaft is threaded in, has a hex base.

I have one of these in my box for cars that come in with U-Joints installed backwards :doh:

THE-418.jpg

So with the needle fitting do you pull the the zerk off then stick the needle point in the hole, or do you just stick it in the end of the zerk? :)

Snake Eater: I feel quite stupid but...what exactly is that for? :) Flame away. :).

Snake Eater: I feel quite stupid but...what exactly is that for? :) Flame away. :).

When U-joints are installed backwards with the Zerk fitting placed in the wrong direction, the only way to get at it with a regular grease gun nozzle is to drop the shaft :eek:

With the 90* fitting on the grease gun, you can slide it behind the U-joint and grease the fitting without dropping the shaft :cool:

You'd be surprised how many cars are out there with U-joints installed backwards :doh:

So with the needle fitting do you pull the the zerk off then stick the needle point in the hole, or do you just stick it in the end of the zerk? :)

You just push into the little hole, hold firmly, pump grease. As long as you can get a relatively straight angle to the zerk they work well.

AFAIK, the "needle" is for inserting into rubber boots to lube joints without grease fittings. At least that's what I use mine for.
Grease Needle.jpg

Last edited:
AFAIK, the "needle" is for inserting into rubber boots to lube joints without grease fittings. At least that's what I use mine for.

There are two types, sharp for piercing and taper for grease zerks.

I've seen the taper style, hadn't heard it called a "needle" before. Does the taper style fitting still have a ball-valve?

Sweet!!

SNAKE EATER: Thank you sir. Now I feel dumb... I was thinking it was a replacement u-joint cross piece. :). Confusion was reigning in my life this morning... I was working on a **** LandRover ****. :(. Thanks.

I've seen the taper style, hadn't heard it called a "needle" before. Does the taper style fitting still have a ball-valve?

The manufactures call them both needles, so good enough for me. There are flat head, low clearance and recessed zerks that require the taper style needle, but they can be used on any zerks. All of this type of zerks have the spring loaded ball, some of the larger fittings have other types of valves.

Flush Type Grease Fittings, Flush Zerk Fittings, NAS516-1A, NAS516-M1
flush zerk.jpg

... can somebody repost or point me to the correct front DS lube thread?

(teach a man to fish...)

Advanced SEARCH, 80-Section, Keywords=needle, spicer

This is a picture of the one that turbocruiser gave you in the above thread link:
218745.jpg

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom