Napa Gold...one of these things is not like the other (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like to waste money and buy the K&N HP3001. It's very similar to the Mobil 1 extended filter equivalent but if race motors run k&n, that's good enough for me, even over the $12 price tag. I also run the same filter on my 22re and 20r motors. 30yrs ago ALL Toyota filters where HUGE and then they started getting smaller and smaller over time (not to mention being made in Japan then the US and now Indonesia). It seems like price cutting to me, which is why I run large filters. -- Also after my 20r had cam lobe wear after less than 25k miles I will NEVER use fram filters, they are crap. Only K&N or Toyota.

Last edited:
WOW! And what is this all base on . . . . . . ?

WOW! And what is this all base on . . . . . . ?
Hell ya all know advance sucks right:confused: For the most part. Heck they will even tell you that fram is the #1 cause for motor returns. ANYWHERE. there has been a problem with their check valves, filtration, and seals. If you have had no trouble yet your very lucky

I haven't heard any mention of Fram oil filters. I've use them and only them on all my vehicles. I always though Fram made a good product. Right now I running the FL8A which is the larger type. You guys have any opinions of Fram?

Do a Google search on the now famous and long running "Oil FIlter Study" It is quoted in numerous places on the web. Uniformly in all sizes, the Fram filters are dead last. They are worse than the Wal-Mart store brands, worse than everything else out there.

My favorite Land Cruiser filter is the -41010 big filter. The Napa Golds are highly rated as well, but note the Napa Silvers are not as highly rated. Mobil1 filters are also highly rated. The -20004 filter from Toyota is basically unobtainable, UNLESS you have a chat with Cruiserdan at American Toyota. I have run Ford Motorcraft FL-1As, which were the original filters that Toyota used as a model for the 2F motor. Their -41010 is basically TOyota's take on the Ford Motorcraft FL-1A.

THe Frams are frequently referred to as the "orange cans of death", but that's overly dramatic. Next change, though, I'd run something different.

Thanks guys, I am always open to new knowledge. I'm sure you can understand how one can fall into the commercial hype if there is nothing else around to prove it wrong (at least in the circles I have traveled). But really thanks for the enlightenment.:beer:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#fram-ph8a

Fram oil filters have always been rated one of the worst of the big name brand filters....

They use a cardboard main element and currently have a bunch of lawsuits pending against them....

IMHO, nothing is better than an OEM brand oil filter :cool:

On a sidenote, Fram makes excellent paper element air filters :)

Say no more. I now understand. I was reading that web page while you were making your point. I can see the light now.

Thanks Again:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom