Name this clump of wires-Car bucking under load. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Symptoms:
1. Engine cuts out under load, about 2500rpms.
2. Wont start, until I tap FPR.

What I know:
1. FPR (Fuel pump relay) is about 8months old. I had the same symptoms and replaced it, worked like a champ.
2. New FPR looks brand new inside, no signs of pitting or corrosion.

I started poking around and checking all the wires and stumbled upon an obvious mess of severed wires/ burnt wires on the drivers side bulkhead (pictures below). I am curious as to what these wires are/do as one appears to be completely severed. I didn't notice it before, probably because I thought the FPR fixed my bucking issues. Looking for some help here.
wire4.jpg
Wire1.jpg
Wire2.jpg

it seems like a rat chewwd through it, i would reconnect them with wire connectors and wrap it with heat shrink wraps.

Looks like you should repair that mess, regardless if it is contributing to your issue or not. :)

I wonder if one of those wires (the partially severed on) is associated with the fuel pump and ultimately the signal from the Fuel Pump Relay.

I just can't see how that damn little relay would fail after 8monts :bang:

Anyone have an idea what these wires may connect to?

I checked every wire harness and everything looks great....:mad:

Dave2000:

Thats what I thought as well regarding the zip ties. I'll be hacking at the wire mess this evening and report back what I find. The FPR is connected to this "nest" so I hope it's just a break in the circuit.

Am i supposed to hear the fuel pump "prime" before starting? I've never heard it.

IIRC the fuel pump relay has a couple of modes, if the ignition has not been on for awhile the pump will run for a few seconds to prime the system. If you then switch of the ignition and then switch it on them a timer or pressure sensor prevents the pump running untill X time has lapsed or the starter is cranked.

Also I think your pump is submerged in the fuel tank and hence the noise is damped although you can normally hear it if the fuel flap is opened.

regards

Dave

Swaped the Fuel pump relay with a local cruiser guy and viola!! no more cutting out and starts like a champ. I will admit I am a bit annoyed at the fact this relay is only 8 months old :mad:. Apart from being a dud from the factory, how could the relay fail after 8 months? I wonder if it has anything to do with the mounting location (vibration, moisture, right above the windshield washer pump)????

Oh and the wire mess, turns out it was an alarm horn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom