Name this (broken) part! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there! I am trying to identify a broken part on my 94 land cruiser. I was driving some furniture up to my parents, when I arrived, fluid was spewing from underneath. I believe the fluid was radiator fluid and not oil. I have attached some pictures. the part that cracked is bolted on to the engine block I think. It completely sheered off but is still bolted on. I am able to get a look at it if I crawl under the drivers side door just behind the tire and look straight up. I am would to figure out exactly what cracked and the extent of the repair. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done the power steering pump and a few other repairs myself. I would prefer to do this myself as well if possible!! I just can't figure out what part this is that cracked! I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Or if anyone has a great recommendation for a land cruiser mechanic in the Ft. Worth, Texas area! I circled the area in red and drew a blue line along the piece that cracked. it's hard to see the crack from the pics, but it is there! I uploaded URL and attached photos, hope on of those will work!

33l6vWT

33l6vWT

33l6vWT

cruiser 1 marked.JPG

cruiser 2 marked.JPG

cruiser 3 marked.JPG

Dude, I don't want to be rude or just typical dutch straightforward.
Nothing wrong there just keep driving, have fun, who cares, good luck.
Maybe buy a set of wrenches to take it apart, or watch bambi.

Yes, those pictures don't show anything broken that I can see. If it is coolant leaking on the drivers side the most likely is the PHH or the smaller hose more towards the front of the motor.

i realize it's hard to see in the picture. However, whatever that piece is that is bolted on, it is completely sheered off and fluid was spewing from there. The engine was cool when I took the pic so you can't really see the crack, it is there, I promise. It is very obvious when the engine has been running and is hot. It expands and there is a gap above the bolt. Either way, I would love if you could just tell me what piece that is. Thank you for your help

I looked on my '94 and the only coolant related things in that area are the engine block drain and a freeze plug. That bolt head that you have circled looks like, on mine, a bolt in the engine mount bracket.
great, thank you! do you know what piece it is bolting on and I am pretty sure it is bolting what ever that is on to the engine block.

great, thank you! do you know what piece it is bolting on and I am pretty sure it is bolting what ever that is on to the engine block.
The bracket that bolt is holding on to the egine block, is the bracket that the mounts the engine to the frame. If you're leaking coolant from that bolt, on your engine block, unless someone knows exactly what's going on, I'd say you have a cracked block. But, seriously, I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion - locally - some one experienced eyeballing it.

Thank you, I appreciate the help! That is my worry, is the cracked block. I live in Austin and have a great shop down there. It's stuck up at my parents in Ft Worth> I was hoping to get an idea of if I could drive it back down to Austin or get it in to a shop up here. Thanks again for help.

Are you sure it is coolant, does it steam? The only other things in that area are the power steering pump/lines and lines to the transmission cooler.

How hard were you pushing your truck on your trip?
Hard, sadly. Unintentional. I was towing a few pieces of furniture. Ended up being a 5 hour trip in the middle of July with stop and go traffic most of the way. So.... I would not be surprised if it was the block. Was just hoping maybe it was something else.

I am not 100% it was coolant. I guessed it was from my naive knowledge base and my empty radiator. But that could be a totally separate issue. I can go check and see if the transmission fluid is empty also.

Being an engine mount point on your block, that would be some serious stress that the drive train experienced. Be sure it is not just the freeze plug above it that might somehow popped loose and is leaking down and making it apppear to be leaking at that bolt.

The transmission fluid level is fine. So, I am fairly sure it was coolant. But again, I don't have a ton of engine knowledge.

Being an engine mount point on your block, that would be some serious stress that the drive train experienced. Be sure it is not just the freeze plug above it that might somehow popped loose and is leaking down and making it apppear to be leaking at that bolt.
Yeah.... it was some serious unintentional stress in Texas summer. :-( Just as I arrived, I heard something coming from the engine. I climbed under and located the liquid spewing. And, when it was hot, I could see that piece completely sheered off the bolt. I will definitely check the drain plug and make sure it's tight.

Refill the radiator, check for leaks. If you see nothing start the engine and let it come to temp and do some more checking.

Fill the radiator back up full of tap water. Cap it up and start the engine. Watch to see where the liquid starts leaking from. Ya dont need more coolant if its gonna leak back out anyway. Gotta identify the problem before you can realize a cause and then figure out a solution.

Fill the radiator back up full of tap water. Cap it up and start the engine. Watch to see where the liquid starts leaking from. Ya dont need more coolant if its gonna leak back out anyway. Gotta identify the problem before you can realize a cause and then figure out a solution.
I did that this morning. I ran it for about 10 min, took it around the block a few times real easy, let it run a bit more.... nothing coming out so far. Engine sounded great. It was pouring down rain to after an hour of finally re-finding where I originally saw it and laying in the rain on the street for a while. I decided to call it for today! I will pick that back up as soon as the rain lets up.

Yeah.... it was some serious unintentional stress in Texas summer. :-( Just as I arrived, I heard something coming from the engine. I climbed under and located the liquid spewing. And, when it was hot, I could see that piece completely sheered off the bolt. I will definitely check the drain plug and make sure it's tight.
And check the freeze plug. It's like a 2" diameter recessed round metal plug above and to the right of that bolt. There's several of them on your block and they're meant to pop loose in the event that the coolant freezes to avoid permanent freeze damage to your block. Occasionally they can fail and start leaking. A lot cheaper to fix that than your block.

And check the freeze plug. It's like a 2" diameter recessed round metal plug above and to the right of that bolt. There's several of them on your block and they're meant to pop loose in the event that the coolant freezes to avoid permanent freeze damage to your block. Occasionally they can fail and start leaking. A lot cheaper to fix that than your block.
Perfect, thanks! I will for sure check it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom