name that sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
I'm getting some gawd awful clunking sound, from what I believe is the rear passenger side of my FJ60. Anytime I go over a bump, big or small, I hear a quite audible clunk. Even when I drive down a bad road (ie most MN roads) . I made a pretty good visual inspection tonight, and everthing seems to be in order. I did have to do this outside as my garage is currently disposed of, and it was 9:30 pm. I'm hoping someone can point me to possible causes.

The bushings on my leaf springs had worn out on one side and whenever I hit a bump or turned hard that way I got a clunk. It was definately a clunk. That's my only clunkin experience.

I have to agree with Eternal's input. My FJ40 was doing the same thing, and while installing my lift & new poly bushings, I found that a couple of the old stock rubber bushings had worn completely through. That wear wasn't very apparent from the visual inspections I'd made, but was blatantly obvious once I had them pulled out.

The other "clunk" I've experienced that would be similar to what you're explaining was with shocks. Make sure that they are securely fastened (both top & bottom), and that the bushings on either end are still in place.

I had a similiar experiance, except mine ended up being a axle bearing so check those also.

Fuel tank coming loose? Lug nuts tight? Exhaust hanger worn out?

I ran over a cat once while backing out of the driveway. It was a kitten though so it was more like a bump than a clunk.

Fuel tank was my first thought. I just had it down to replace some fuel lines (lots of fun removing/installing tank alone). I thought I may have goofed it up. Nope, its up ther pretty solid.

check the pin in the center of both rear spring packs. If it is worn/loose that can let them make a pretty strong 'clunk'

Make sure the rear cross member that carries the shocks is not rusted through on that side. That'll make a good clunk.

I had a clunk like that the other day. It had been driving me nuts for a few weeks, and I couldn't find out what it was. Guess what it was, the center cap. Make sure yours are nice and tight, or they will clank back and forth. I thought it was something more serious, but now, sound is gone.

The lid to the dutch oven should be secured better

all of the above are good points to consider....

here's one more: how are your shocks? check the attachment points as well as the range of travel. if they are shot, you could be bottoming out the shock and thus, hearing a clunk.

my 2¢,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom