Name that sound....any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1969 FJ40
rebuilt engine
original 3-speed tranny and original transfercase

I have this chatter sound that is driving me nuts. I'm fine with the high pitch whirring of transmission and hum of tires but this chatter is driving me nuts.

Under load by speeding up fast or ascending a hill it goes away. Foot off accelerator and coasting down in speed it goes away. It occurs just when I'm feathering the accelerator to maintain speed that it occurs. I have no idea if I'm just hitting the sweet spot for vibrations to occur, if this is something inside the tranny or or possibly the clutch throw-out bearing.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Replacing throwout bearing would be a pain but better than a tranny rebuild.

Any thoughts on how to isolate where it's coming from? I thought of removing tranny hump, wearing a set of automotive stethoscope and trying to pinpoint the source location while driving.

Sound file attached but not as easily heard as real thing. The chatter is quite tinny like a thin aluminum pie plate pitch.

-Travis
Land_Cruiser_Clutch_Disc__Plate__Throw-out_and_Pilot_Bearings.jpg
New Recording 2.m4a - https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0wui7vrwa3zvd5/new%20recording%202.m4a?dl=0

Heard it. It has to be the pilot and/or throw out because of the high speed sound.

Drop the flywheel inspection cover and check the clearance between the pressure plate forks and the throw out bearing. Make sure the bearing hub retainer clips are still there. Item 17 in your pic. There should be 2, @ 12 & 6 o'clock. You can look up there when it running too. Does it go away when you put pressure on the clutch? It could be a bearing in the trans or tcase too.

i am going outside the box , a bit 🤔

for a diagnosis i have had to preform personally more then one time

- one of the stamped sheet Metal Dust Shields on the rear Drive Pinion diff side or T-Case side flanges shaft most likely is loose or bent like from a impact of a rock off road

or come loose completely ?

then chafing and rubbing the 3rd member or t-case assy box .....

I suppose we will not know until it is taken apart and a discovery is in place. Just a guess until then.

You guys all rock. Great feedback. I'm going to remove the inspection cover and look. Was thinking heat shield too for a bit because the one under the battery started rattling a year or so back. This sound is further back. I can't picture any such thing further back as ToyotaMatt suggests so I'll look. Years ago I had taken tranny and transfer out many times and can't recall any thin metal flanges or shield but heck, maybe I forgot.

The way toyotamatt writes is very confusing. I think he's talking about the dust shields that are attached to the yoke flanges and are just behind the pinion flanges and frt tcase output flange that protect the seals. They sometimes become loose or bent and rattle.

oh.....I know what you're talking about! That's an easy check.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom